• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Are we there yet?

Tom dinning

Registrant*
Crikey!
That took longer than the 54 bus to Ludmilla. I thought you guys were doing a criminal check on me just to let me in. (that old biddy I mugged! She hit me first).
Now I'm in I don't know where to start. The list of options is longer than my wife's 'to do' list.
And I read some of the comments. Gee! There are some pretty smart people here.
You will take it easy on me, won't you? I'm old and have a weak ticker.
I know! I'll start with a picture of myself taken by my 8 year old grand daughter. I stole her bear and she was recording the event to dob on me to her grumpy grandmother. Boy, did I get a pasting. The bears name is Scraggs, by the way and I'll knock the stuffing out of it next time I find it swimming in the toilet bowl.

20111118_4874 by tom.dinning, on Flickr​

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Tom,

Now that you're in, welcome to OPF. The OPF crowd is pretty diverse, from successful professionals to aspiring amateurs (people who don't make a living out of photography, not necessarily their skill level). A quick way of getting some inspiration to join some discussions is to follow the "recent posts" under the quick links. Once you feel you can contribute something to questions being asked, or want to ask a question yourself, just jump in. Above all, have fun.

Cheers,
Bart

Last edited:

Cem_Usakligil

Welcome Tom,

We have a single point of entry to OPF, Asher has to approve all registrations by himself and he is not at work 24/7 as you can imagine. We have been 100% successful in keeping spammers at bay, thanks to the rigorous (and manual) procedure. The downside is, as you have discovered yourself, the waiting period for approvals and it may drive away some people eventually. But I am glad that you have persevered. Nice to have you with us. Just start posting as you wish and also please do not forget to comment on others' pictures too. Have fun.

Jerome Marot

You shall not steal teddy bears from your grandchildren, you, naughty boy. That's bad manners.

Welcome to OPF.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Crikey!
That took longer than the 54 bus to Ludmilla. I thought you guys were doing a criminal check on me just to let me in. (that old biddy I mugged! She hit me first).

Tom,

Actually, we did and being from a penal colony, we had to check your lineage. It turns out, that your great (nth) grandfather stole teddy bears from little girls and boys! I find a note, however, from Charles Dickens, himself, attesting to the lad's high moral character:

Charles Dickens said:
Not one bear was actually punched or violated. All the bears they recovered from the Thames were intact.

The vicar in Whitechapel, however, devastated at the loss of all the bears from the local orphanage, reported the thefts and demanded the lad's arrest. This was a grave error and he relented but, alas and alack, it was too late. The wheels of justice had started turning already and punishment was simple and rote. The vicar, full of self-recrimination, was horrified by the magistrates summary judgment and sentence! He petitioned to the Whitechapel court that even though the total value of all the bears stolen was, indeed, more than 5 shillings, hanging a boy of 11 was too cruel. He argued for mercy and assured the court that "down-under, the kangaroos at least could have chance to get away!"

So that's the story, as best as I could assemble it, and shows that the family, although stricken with an unusual passion for toy bears, themselves, bear no grave risk for the community.

Glad you arrived safely! :)

Asher

Mark Hampton

You show me yours and I'll show you mine.

20120505_0163.jpg

mine

Tom dinning

Registrant*
I think we need a tea party so we can bring our 'friends' although Jerome's friend looks a bit shy. Your mate looks like Chucky's sister, MArk. She's scary.

Tom dinning

Registrant*
Tom,

When I first tried that, I was cheated. I showed mine and she didn't even have one!

Asher

As Adam said to Eve on their first meeting: 'you had better stand back. I have no idea how big this thing is going to get.'

As with most women, there is usually a look of disappointment that follows.
Cheers
Tom

Asher Kelman

As Adam said to Eve on their first meeting: 'you had better stand back. I have no idea how big this thing is going to get.'

As with most women, there is usually a look of disappointment that follows.
Cheers
Tom

Hmm! Let's think about that scene. Adam was how old then? Eve was just a few hours old, for sure. Me? I was 5 and so was the girl! We both were in the hallway outside the class room door, as they were having Protestant religious instruction. She was Catholic and so was excused from hearing the last words of the Lord's Prayer, "for thine is the kingdom, the power and the glory". (After all, The Pope, is the representative of that "power and glory" and the last phrase was added as an insult, so i'm told.)

Anyway, she made a bargain under false pretenses. It was essentially a bait and switch.

Asher

Jerome Marot

She was Catholic and so was excused from hearing the last words of the Lord's Prayer, "for thine is the kingdom, the power and the glory". (After all, The Pope, is the representative of that "power and glory" and the last phrase was added as an insult, so i'm told.)

The doxology "For thine is the kingdom, and the power, and the glory, for ever." is found in the majority of Greek manuscripts and is part of the Roman Rite Mass.

As to disappointed women, I don't know. Ask them.

Asher Kelman

The doxology "For thine is the kingdom, and the power, and the glory, for ever." is found in the majority of Greek manuscripts and is part of the Roman Rite Mass.

Jerome,

I do know that English and Scottish Catholics don't want the doxology added when praying at their deathbed! I had one woman sit up when she was supposed top be dying. I restarted and left out the last stanza and she passed with a smile on her face!

A good reference to the British experience is found here. I was amazed at the strength of conviction can summon a dying person's strength of conviction and protest, even as they are using their last precious breath.

"Are we there yet?", I ask myself. Then I realized, "...... yes." and let go of the hand, close the eyes and bring up the sheet to cover them respectfully.

Asher

Tom dinning

Registrant*
Don't hold my hand, Asher. With all due respect, I'd prefer that to be Christine and if she's not about I have a short list of other possibilities.
As for dieing words, mine might be "**** off, I'm not ready yet!"
I will let you take the photos though. Just some casual snaps with the 'point and press' will be sufficient. You know what I think of the arty farty stuff :)

Cheers
Tom