• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

My World: Looking at Los Angeles and Surounding Communities: Holmby Park

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Let me first start in Holmby Park. That's where I saw Prince William and his wife Kate about 2 years ago, without obvious security.

Right nearby, one house is overflowing with roses.

[Group 38]-IMG_1674 (2)_IMG_1677 (1)-2 Babs Holmby.jpg

Asher Kelman: Bab's House 2017

iphone 6+ no flash
2 shots stiched in Autopano Giga

Enjoy!

Asher

Last edited:

fahim mohammed

I prefer the serenity of Holmby Park ( in images and otherwise ) to the brash concrete and glass of your other post.

Asher Kelman

I prefer the serenity of Holmby Park ( in images and otherwise ) to the brash concrete and glass of your other post.

Thanks for the visit and your honest insight.

I prefer the human touch and window to human values of your own work. You quickly get to the fabric of human relationships: man versus nature, spirituality, honor, tears and the like. You are right in noticing the coldness of polished glass or stucco and concrete. I worried about this when I paused my work and went to bed last night. The other thread, I admit, is monumental but cold!

But first I want to establish the framework and range of opportunity and kinds of space for folk's lives. I hope to gradually the minimally overlapping stages that folk walk on in the greater Los Angeles arena of bustling life and islands of isolation of wealth and despair.

Asher

Asher Kelman

Well, this is a wonderful neighborhood. From early morning folk arrive to jog, resaurant food trucks by enterprising mexican families line up to compete for hungry customers, folk walk their dogs.

[Group 15]-IMG_4097_IMG_4102-6 images_0001 copy.jpg

Asher Kelman: 3 Dominant Trees

Holmby Park, The Actual Park

Canon 5DII 50 mm 1.2L

6 Images stitched in Autopano Giga

Untitled_Panorama1.jpg

Asher Kelman: Couple with dog!

Canon 5DII 50 mm 1.2L

4 Images stitched in Photoshop CC 2017
First processed from From RAW in ACR

Asher

The foremost of the dominant trees looks to be just about perfect for youngsters to climb in, Asher. If I were there, and a kid again, I'd bring along some golf balls to toss at the golfers as they lined up their putts.

Asher Kelman

Thanks Fahim and Tom! Yes this is LA-LA Land and we are indeed blessed. About 2 years ago, I was stunned to see Catherine Middleton and Prince William walking right by these trees! I will have to dig up the picture, LOL! My wife couldn't be convinced it was indeed the royal couple, but there were security across the street.

I would love to see you in the tree, Tom and I would take you out for a super fresh fish lunch, real British Tea and excellent local Stone IPA beer from San Diego!

Asher

Asher Kelman

Trees are a major part of the character of West Lost Angeles, Holmby Park, Beverlywood and of course, Beverly Hills. In fact for the latter, they refer to the "Beverly Hills Forrest". Their main obsession is with preventing the spread of disease to our signature palm trees. We have some infections coming from trees brought from North Africa.

My concern is more with Oak Root fungus, (when the mushrooms grow, they are supposed to be edible and tasty, but I was chicken and just discarded them.

The fungus infects most of the deciduous trees. The secret, I have found is having less trees and allowing them to get more soil and sunlight.

[Group 0]-_MG_9783__MG_9786-4 images_0000 copy.jpg

Asher Kelman: Long term friendship

Holmby Park, the actual parl!
Canon 6D 24-105 L 400 ISO 1/800 sec f 5.6
4 images Stitched in Autopano Giga

No filters

Asher

Asher Kelman

A lot of folk with dogs and of course, cell phones are ubiquitous.

_mg_9768Darker copy.jpg

Asher Kelman: Dog's wait!

Holmby Park, The Park itself,

Canon 6D 24-105 L 24mm f 4.5 1/250 sec ISO 400
Processed from RAW in ACR CC 2017

No Filters

Asher

nicolas claris

OPF Co-founder/Administrator
[Group 0]-_MG_9783__MG_9786-4 images_0000 copy.jpg

Asher Kelman: Long term friendship

Holmby Park, the actual parl!
Canon 6D 24-105 L 400 ISO 1/800 sec f 5.6
4 images Stitched in Autopano Giga

No filters

Asher

Ahhhhhh!
That is a beautiful demonstration of friendship!
I really love this image!

PS And you know what friendship means to me!

Asher Kelman

Ahhhhhh!
That is a beautiful demonstration of friendship!
I really love this image!

PS And you know what friendship means to me!

Yes, Nicolas, that was on mind, mind, exactly!

I remember when you once surprised me in Bordeaux with a precious copy of your limited edition photo book.

That feeling has never left me!

Thanks,

Asher

Asher Kelman

Most folk walk alone.

[Group 2]-IMG_5026_IMG_5030-5 images_0000 copy 2.jpg

Asher Kelman: Turning the Corner

Holmby Park, The actual park!
Canon 5DII, 50mm 1.2L
5 jpgs stitched in Autopano Giga
Topaz Clarity - Clouds

Asher

Asher Kelman

Why the stitching?

Well I have just the 5DII and my 24-105mm was stolen with the 6D.
My 24mm II T/S needs a new mount - fell out of bag while distracted!
So I generally carry just the 501.2L.

My distance is the minumum distance for a resonable sized person included in the landscape, so to get entire trees, stitching is essential.

[Group 1]-IMG_4816_IMG_4901-86 images_0002 Holmby_pano_1200.jpg

Asher Kelman: "Pace in Terram"

Canon 5D II 50mm 1.2L
86 images taken and scores used in Autopano Giga

No filters

Asher

Last edited:

Asher Kelman

NIce ones Asher! Must be a pleasant place to be in buzzing LA!

I get a distorted view of life and beauty. Leaving "Beverly Hills" and visiting the Los Angeles "LA Times Book Fair", I was stunned there was a dearth of the long-legged, slim, perfectly fit, smooth-skinned, coiffed, beautiful would-be actresses, I see every day. My wife said to me, "Just remember, Asher, we live in "LA LA land" and those folk we think are "everyday normal" are actually selectively filtered from all over the planet, drawn by the hope of fame and fortune!"

Asher Kelman

Well I found one more!

IMG_4801_Holmby Park.jpg

Asher Kelman: By the Park Keepers House

Holmby Park, 2017

iPhone 6+ Photoshop CC 2017

Enjoy!

Asher

Asher Kelman

A grand photo, Asher. Love the sense of space. Cheers, Mike

Thanks, Mike,

It's a really fabulous and almost unknown treasure. Very rarely, but it happens, I have seen movie stars and royalty there, but no one cares!

I am the only one to photograph folk and I omit anyone famous!

Asher

Asher Kelman

I have to celebrate my new Fuji GFX with its 32 to 64mm zoom with the baby size Medium Format sensor. I had to visit Holmby Park in the late morning to see how it handled with the enormous dynamic range of the shade and brightness.

I stitched 32 overlapping shots, handheld in Autopano Giga and the stitching went easilly. This could print at 300 dpi about 54" x 36".

[Group 3]-_DSF1061__DSF1093-32 images_0001 copy.jpg

Asher Kelman: Holmby Park Tranquility
January 2018
Fuji GFX 32-64 f4.0
Handheld 32 overlapping shots
Stitched in Autopnao Giga

Asher Kelman

Of Course, people need breakfast, coffee and there are workers nearby fixing up houses, so there is a line of food trucks, each inspected and certified as meeting all hygiene standards, with an A rating!

_DSF1042_dark grass copy.jpg

Asher Kelman: Waiting for Customers!

Holmby Park January 2018
Fuji GFX 32-64 mm
64mm, 1/150 sec, F 4.5, ISO 200

Comments invited!

Asher