Open Photography Forums  
HOME FORUMS NEWS FAQ SEARCH

Go Back   Open Photography Forums > Art Theory: Idea workshop.

Art Theory: Idea workshop. Warning, not the truth here, just a venture. Examining what makes an image worthy of saving and what it does for us.

Old June 15th, 2015, 09:52 AM
OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief

Default Photographs as "offspring"!

Think of each work of art as an attempt to export something wonderful
from our minds to a physical form which evokes emotions and thought.
Once out there, our darlings have to breathe and fend for themselves!

So how to we transform thoughts to something physical?

I find it useful to consider each art picture as "offspring". There's an act of intercourse and conception between the "parents". These are your mind and the camera. Raising and schooling the infant to shape it's future, all the "processing".

So the mind sets the time, position of camera, and the camera has it's inherent parameters as its DNA too. Now we have a picture! What will happen to it? Well it's like any of your children. You have hopes that he or she can command respect and love, but soon, they are on their own!

Few will climb Everest, get a knighthood or discover a cure for cancer! A few will turn up in sleazy places and several more might end up treasured as leaders for others to follow.

Do you have a metaphor that is more apt for photographic art?

Asher

Our purpose is getting to an impressive photograph. So we encourage browsing and then feedback. Consider a link to your galleries annotated, C&C welcomed. Images posted within OPF are assumed to be for Comment & Critique, unless otherwise designated.
Old June 16th, 2015, 04:04 AM

Well I don't know about better lol but as I was an artist long before I was a photographer I think of photography in terms of painting with light. You have your canvas - the film or sensor, you have your paints or pastels - your colour settings and white balance, you have your brushes - your aperture and shutter settings and with all of these thing you 'paint' the image onto your canvas and get a photo and how it comes out depends on what medium (settings) you have used. :-)
Old July 3rd, 2018, 09:45 AM

Hello,newb here, don't seem to get responses to my threads, so will not say too much for now, but Asher your topic stuck out like a providential thumb hitching a ride to freedom in a desert of silent threads. Same response as Michaela, don't know about better...every metaphor has its passenger. But I carried around a tattered set of paintings for a decade. They are lost. So just saying topic and metaphor was interesting to me. Would like to discuss some meanings for art for that matter. Anyone interested?
Old July 3rd, 2018, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Lamontagne View Post
Hello,newb here, don't seem to get responses to my threads, so will not say too much for now, but Asher your topic stuck out like a providential thumb hitching a ride to freedom in a desert of silent threads. Same response as Michaela, don't know about better...every metaphor has its passenger. But I carried around a tattered set of paintings for a decade. They are lost. So just saying topic and metaphor was interesting to me. Would like to discuss some meanings for art for that matter. Anyone interested?
I understand the feelings of carrying around a bundle of art that we treasure but have not as yet launched to the public consciousness. Itís a huge challenge.

3 years ago I embarked on a new sculpture far larger than the art competition expected and then had no home. I have struggled through maizes of offialdom that even Frank Jafka never was awarecof!

What does one do with a 6.5 ton steel sculpture that stands 33 ft high?

Well now I have two major Cities showing official interest. In artistic endeavors one has to first believe in the viability and worth of the project and be able to survive financially and emotionally until the work earns its place of love in its new location.

So it all must start with creating expressions which cause an eruption of sentiments when you the artist experience its presence. From then on, itís a lonely act of faith to step out where there appears no stone to try to advance your new work.

Asher

Our purpose is getting to an impressive photograph. So we encourage browsing and then feedback. Consider a link to your galleries annotated, C&C welcomed. Images posted within OPF are assumed to be for Comment & Critique, unless otherwise designated.
Old July 3rd, 2018, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asher Kelman View Post
Think of each work of art as an attempt to export something wonderful
from our minds to a physical form which evokes emotions and thought.
Once out there, our darlings have to breathe and fend for themselves!

So how to we transform thoughts to something physical?

I find it useful to consider each art picture as "offspring". There's an act of intercourse and conception between the "parents". These are your mind and the camera. Raising and schooling the infant to shape it's future, all the "processing".

So the mind sets the time, position of camera, and the camera has it's inherent parameters as its DNA too. Now we have a picture! What will happen to it? Well it's like any of your children. You have hopes that he or she can command respect and love, but soon, they are on their own!

Few will climb Everest, get a knighthood or discover a cure for cancer! A few will turn up in sleazy places and several more might end up treasured as leaders for others to follow.

Do you have a metaphor that is more apt for photographic art?

Asher
Asher

I don't have any children but if I ever do I would like three of them... one of each.

It would be paramount in my opinion that a parent's duty is to raise their children to be ,sensitive,caring, feeling, responsible adults.

Best, regards

James
Old July 3rd, 2018, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Lemon View Post
Asher

I don't have any children but if I ever do I would like three of them... one of each.

It would be paramount in my opinion that a parent's duty is to raise their children to be ,sensitive,caring, feeling, responsible adults.

Best, regards

James
Thatís the goal, James, but we do not have full control of the sunset light nor a childís innate personality.

One cannot go to a prison yard where thereís racism, ranks and bullying and provide a photograph of harmony. Sometime a person is simply born with limited ability to be trained to be civilized, friendly, appreciative, considerate and trustworthy.

But all these character types are in reserve in case one particular set of traits is useful in a flood, Hurricane or invasion of an enemy.

In art, we have to learn to design creations within the boundaries of our capabilities. The same in teaching children. At the very least one prays that our kids will grow up whole and self supporting and not mean.

Asher