• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Where will Pentax be in Two Years Time?

In the past few months there have been some rather exciting developments. The technology is moving at an incredibly fast pace. Where will we be in two years and what will be the standard resolution for the masses using DSLR's. What will be at the forefront and who will be setting new precedents.

Here is my prediction. The standard base level Pentax will be 12 mega pixels. It will have a range of 100 to 3200 iso and will have built in SR, sensor cleaning and image view as well as other novel features like high speed bluetooth and infra red tether support. The next step up will be the equivalent of the K10D and will have a native resolution of 12.8 mega pixels on a 1.25 ratio sensor. It will have a range of 50-6400 iso and will feature a new highly evolved SR system that will allow for a true 4 stops of shake reduction as well as Pan SR. It will also have an improved sensor cleaning system as well as high speed Bluetooth capability and infra red tether support. It will shoot at 6 fps and be able to shoot a full 2 gig card without needing to re-buffer. It will allow up to 30 Raw images to be shot in rapid fire.

Pentax will not yet have released their FF sensor dslr, but rumors will abound about the eventual release of their 22 megapixel FF DSLR.

The new 645D will have evolved to the 645D Mkll with a 45 megapixel sensor.

That is my take. Now that it is written in concrete let's see how close I am to this prediction in two years..

Ben

Last edited:

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Given the release of the new Pentax lenses, they are really laying the groundwork for major commitment of effort long term in the DSLR market. Remeber they are also an optics company in other vertical markets.

Could you go over for us which size sensors the new lenses match or is it unlike Canon and all lenses go on all cameras?

Asher

DA* Lenses

Given the release of the new Pentax lenses, they are really laying the groundwork for major commitment of effort long term in the DSLR market. Remeber they are also an optics company in other vertical markets.

Could you go over for us which size sensors the new lenses match or is it unlike Canon and all lenses go on all cameras?

Asher

From what info I have the DA* lenses should work on the 1.25-30 sensor size.

So, Benjamin, when do you take delivery of your DA* lens and would it be possible to do a controlled comparison test between the DA* and the equivalent focal length Limited in your possession?

That would go a long way towards whetting my appettite. I am waiting in anticipation for these lenses - hoping they have magical qualities ;) Seriously, though, the weather sealing alone comes close to magical - a fully sealed system. Well, except for the flash, darn that Canon!

Kyle Nagel

From what info I have the DA* lenses should work on the 1.25-30 sensor size.

Below is a quote from Pentax's website regarding the DA lenses and sensor size,

"The image circle in DA-series lenses is designed to perfectly match the 23.5mm x 15.7mm size of the CCD used in PENTAX digital SLRs to optimize camera performance. "

One reason I have stuck with the FA series lenses is that they are definitely compatible with a 35mm full frame sensor, and I'm hoping to see one from Pentax some day.

I recall several months ago reading a post on a website where the user had put the all the DA lenses available at that time, I think about 5 or 6, on his 35mm film body and tested their performance by evaluating the scanned film. One of the lenses may have even been a Sigma reduced frame lens. I wish I could find the post (I did a search but came up empty), in any case, if I remember correctly the 40mm limited DA was the only one that did not appear to have issues with the image circle size on the full frame image. I think this may be because the size and spacing of the elements in the 40mm appear the same (at least when I compared them side by side) as the original 40mm pancake, so I don't think the 40mm limited has a smaller circle like the other DA lenses (But I'm just guessing). I'm not sure why it was given the "DA" designation, rather than "DFA", which Pentax has given to lenses that have enhanced optics for digital cameras, but have a full frame image circle.

The DA* 16-50mm f2.8 has however tempted me into buying a DA series lens, but I think I'll wait for your "hands on" evaluation before I jump in on one. :>)

Kyle

From what I understand the DA 40 and 70 Pancake lenses will work on FF with some corner softness but the 21 will not. I don't have any of these lenses yet but I'm sure someone who does will be able to speak to this further.

Kyle Nagel

It would be nice if we could get someone from Pentax that had definite technical knowledge regarding these lenses to comment on this. I may have to fire off an e-mail and see what I can find out.

Kyle

Asher Kelman

Ben,

Great link! Impressive plans by Pentax. There was a concern that bring new versions of the K100D and K10d each end of year would devalue the camera for Pentax owners. OTOH, like Apple, the leap forwards each year with chips means that the Cameras can be updated substantially each year and these cameras are cheap as they should be and the lenses are pretty well for ever!

Further, who sells such great lenses for so little?

The package of a K10D with light Pentax professional lenses seems like a perfect combination, to be moved up a notch each November! The'll always be a market for the used camera and then the use of it as was what, $1000 with $0.05 change from B&H "Pentax K10D, 10.2 Megapixel, SLR, Digital Camera Kit with Pentax Zoom Super Wide Angle SMCP-DA 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 AL Autofocus Lens".

Well what's the cost of ownership if each November one upgrades to the newest body? So allow $100 for the lens, the camera is $800 and might fetch ~ $600 so the cost of ownership (10 months) would be $20/month. now that to my mind is a bargain and the camera will always be under warranty !

It makes sense!

Asher

Ben Rubinstein

pro member
Sounds desperate and unrealistic to me Asher, retooling each year is a very expensive task nevermind the R&D and marketing etc. Let's face it, the big two are always going to be the big two, the rest of the market will be devided between Oly, Sony and Pentax/Samsung and the competition in that sector will be vicious. Pentax's plan may sound good but I doubt it's feasable given their potential share of the marketplace.

That said I'm dying for the K100D (possibly even smaller?) with a 10 megapixel chip. As I said on the FM post, not to belittle what Pentax has done with the K10D, for a discreet carry everywhere street rig the K10D is rather bigger than I would have hoped. For hyperfocal shooting with simple aperture priority and auto ISO a 10 megapixel body with anti shake in a smaller chassis would be most welcome.

Asher Kelman

Ben,

Yes, companies can have a flourish of manic ideas before collapse. Some trees blossom before they die and so it is. OTOH they have delivered the lenses! That means great preparation. (Did Minoltta in it's dying days come out with so many new lenses?)

As far as turnaround is concerned, 3D lithography delvers new camera bodies overnight. Canon can put a new product into the market in 3 months following a decision to do so. Of course the R&D has to have a slew of options ready to go. A lot of production can be done by 3rd parties so there's organization and finance issues but with those in place, Pentax can suceeed.

Now for a discreet Pentax, take away the morror box and you have an M8, LOL! However, you have to chip in a little more $$$$$$ :)

Asher

Ben Rubinstein

pro member
Nah, the sigma is too big for what it is meant to be (once the lens is extended, plus hood plus viewfinder), too slow and too foveon!

I've never been a rangefinder focusing fan, or even manual focusing for that matter, had enough of that in my Canon FD days and with my Mamiya! It's hyperfocal or AF for this boy now when shooting fast..

There do seem to be some interesting hints in todays bodies of potential things to come, if the new Leica prime for the Oly becomes a range of Leica primes then I might well live with the limitations of 4/3rds but the lenses really could do with getting smaller. Pentax are getting there and if the above is true then by Xmas there might well be the camera I've been waiting for to pair with the pancake primes.

Of course what we all really want is a digital Contax G2 or a T3 even, something with a fast 35mm lens. Sigh...