• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Lightroom verses bibble.

Ron Morse

I have lightroom and really like it. I have been giving serious consideration to going to lightroom 2.

A couple of friends of mine have the newest bibble, what ever it is, and really like the way it handles canon colors. In fact they love it.

I tried bibble a couple of years ago or more and had a hard time figuring out how to use it. They say it is a lot easier now.

I love the ease of use of lightroom. What will bibble do for me that lightroom won't do? Or do easier? My friends glowing reports have me really thinking about this.

What will bibble do for me that lightroom won't do? Or do easier? My friends glowing reports have me really thinking about this.

Well right now nothing, because we haven't gotten it out the door yet :) But we do have some demonstration videos and information on our site http://www.bibblelabs.com/products/bibble5/

I also tried to post some news about the videos Calumet made at PhotoPlus (there's a Bibble 5 demonstration among them), but it needed moderator approval (probably a poor choice of thread prefix).

The main differences among the things we have announced are:
  • Bibble won't force you to import everything into your library - you can browse the file system and manipulate images without having to add them to your catalog. And we allow you to have multiple catalogs open simultaneously (harder than it soundsto do, but very useful).
  • More selective editing capability. My understanding is that only some of the Lightroom editing capability is available as selective editing. Our goal was to make everything that was sensible (i.e. not color management) work with regions. Like white balance, so you don't have to choose whether to render for the blue shadows or the warm sun.
  • Faster. Especially if you throw more hardware at it. Our competitors can't fully use 8 cores, Bibble can fully use at least 16 (and is designed for more). So if you upgrade your hardware, Bibble will run faster, and the others probably won't.
  • You can run Bibble on your smaller screen laptop and lower end hardware without pulling your hair out. One of our testers ran Bibble 5 on his netbook with a 7" screen and was pretty happy with it.
  • Our plug-ins are built into the processing chain and work just like any of the built in tools. That means that you don't have to save out intermediate files (like Aperture) and the processing doesn't have to happen at the end of the chain, which gives Bibble plugin developers a lot more flexibility.

-Colleen

Last edited:
We're going to get it released by the end of the year. Or else I'm going to have a melt down :) We do intend to read DNG in addition to the native raw as well as other formats like TIFF. We are supporting XML with the intention of allowing you to keep using your current asset management system if you choose.

-Colleen

Ron Morse

It won't be out until the end of the year. So if a person gets it right off what about the upgrade?

Is their a trial version of 5 available or beta.

What I was impressed with was the rendering of the color red. The best canon red I have seen was DPP but the workflow is so limiting. The red I saw from my friends bibble conversion was the closest to canon red of any I have seen.

nicolas claris

OPF Co-founder/Administrator
Thanks Colleen, if you ever need another beta tester…

BTW, Raw converters aren't part of my DAM and don't like to import afull session of images to read one only…

Ken Tanaka

pro member
Ron: Bibble has made some significant progress. I licensed an earlier version and found it to be a bit helter skelter. But it looks like this new version is trying hard to offer the look-and-feel of Lightroom and Aperture.

But Bibble, like C1, is still what I call a "sausage maker" tool aimed primarily at (let's be honest) wedding photographers who need to process hundreds of images quickly but don't really need to extensively catalog or keyword images.

Lightroom, which I've used for two years now, is a broader platform designed not just for making sausages but also for cataloging and searching your sausage collection. That is, it's also an "asset management" system.

Watching the Calumet video i didn't see anything in Bibble 5 that you cannot do in Lightroom 2. They're also pricing it competitively with Lightroom and Aperture. So I suggest you make your decision based on what you really need. If, as the annoying interviewer abrasively posits, the most important thing to you is "PHOTOGRAPHIC WORKFLOW" and cataloging is not important then Bibble is probably worth a hard look.

Personally, not being an event photographer, Lightroom is absolutely perfect for me.

It won't be out until the end of the year. So if a person gets it right off what about the upgrade?

If you buy Bibble 4 now, you get Bibble 5 for free.

Is their a trial version of 5 available or beta.
Not yet, so if you don't like Bibble 4 I wouldn't recommend buying it just to get Bibble 5 (since you might not like it either). Bibble 5 will be $199 and Bibble 4 is $159 so you run the risk of throwing away $159 to save $40. If you try Bibble 4 and like it, then there is not reason not to buy it now. Those prices are from our site - for Germany our exclusive distributor is ASH (http://www.application-systems.de/) and for France, ASP (http://www.application-systems.fr/) so there may be some variation in price ( I think Bibble 4 is still $139 Euro from ASP)

What I was impressed with was the rendering of the color red. The best canon red I have seen was DPP but the workflow is so limiting. The red I saw from my friends bibble conversion was the closest to canon red of any I have seen.

We do have a different interpretation of reds than Adobe's interpretation (which was always too orange for me). We have completely reworked our color pipeline and are really happy with it. There is a Thread in our Show Off forum that shows the same image processed with Bibble 4 and with Bibble 5. I think some folks are going to be really happy with the changes to the greens. And if they're not, there is always the selective color adjustment to change them back :)

-Colleen

Last edited:
Lightroom, which I've used for two years now, is a broader platform designed not just for making sausages but also for cataloging and searching your sausage collection. That is, it's also an "asset management" system.

Bibble 5 will do asset management, probably better than Lightroom because we are not going to have some of the same limitations ( like only one catalog open at a time). You will be able to put your collection into separate catalogs by year or topic, or even open a colleague's catalog and be able to search and filter the images as if they were all in one catalog. We've had several conversations with Peter Krogh (author of "The DAM Book") and feel we're really on the right track.

-Colleen

Cem_Usakligil

Ron: Bibble has made some significant progress. I licensed an earlier version and found it to be a bit helter skelter. But it looks like this new version is trying hard to offer the look-and-feel of Lightroom and Aperture.

But Bibble, like C1, is still what I call a "sausage maker" tool aimed primarily at (let's be honest) wedding photographers who need to process hundreds of images quickly but don't really need to extensively catalog or keyword images.

Watching the Calumet video i didn't see anything in Bibble 5 that you cannot do in Lightroom 2. They're also pricing it competitively with Lightroom and Aperture. So I suggest you make your decision based on what you really need. If, as the annoying interviewer abrasively posits, the most important thing to you is "PHOTOGRAPHIC WORKFLOW" and cataloging is not important then Bibble is probably worth a hard look.

Personally, not being an event photographer, Lightroom is absolutely perfect for me.

Ken voices my feelings too. I have a hard time working with "pure" converters suchs as DPP, C1 or Bibble (yes, I did give it a go in the past) compared to the ease of use with LR, not to forget the quality of the image conversion. If something needs real PP, I do that in Photoshop anyway.

Just my Euro 0.02

Cheers,

Ken Tanaka

pro member
Bibble 5 will do asset management, probably better than Lightroom because we are not going to have some of the same limitations ( like only one catalog open at a time). You will be able to put your collection into separate catalogs by year or topic, or even open a colleague's catalog and be able to search and filter the images as if they were all in one catalog. We've had several conversations with Peter Krogh (author of "The DAM Book") and feel we're really on the right track.

-Colleen
I missed that new feature, Colleen. That sounds like a smart variation. I will be interested in seeing it in action sometime. (Also nice to see Peter's getting a great deal of mileage from his DAM book.)

Michael Fontana

pro member
Ken voices my feelings too. I have a hard time working with "pure" converters suchs as DPP, C1 or Bibble (yes, I did give it a go in the past) compared to the ease of use with LR, not to forget the quality of the image conversion. If something needs real PP, I do that in Photoshop anyway.
Just my Euro 0.02

Cheers,

Meanwhile I find in almost all of my shots the throroughbred-converters as C1, RAW Developer, etc producing better IQ: creating nicer color, better details, and a contrast with smoother tonality - even I had finetuned the ACR/LR's cam profile with the colorchecker, which was a noticeble improvement.

I'm really glad, we've different options, and quite often, I'm surprised how the two mentioned RCs produce different "looks" of the same image. Keywording is done with other apps, like iVMP.

Did anybody managed to work with the LR's version2 - "styles"- with the profile editor?

Johnny_Johnson

[snip]

What I was impressed with was the rendering of the color red. The best canon red I have seen was DPP but the work flow is so limiting. The red I saw from my friends bobble conversion was the closest to canon red of any I have seen.

Hi Ron,

Have you tried the new profiles http://labs.adobe.com/wiki/index.php/DNG_Profiles:FAQ that Adobe has made available for Lightroom. I think you'll find that they will give you reds that are closer to what you're looking for. I particularly like the Landscape profile for the 5D.

Later,
Johnny

Bill Miller

Bibble -vs- Lightroom

Having been a Bibble user and believer for several years. The choice then was Adobe RAW converter, Canon's, Capture One and Bibble. After trying all of them Bibble was the choice for converting color accurately and faster then the rest. Additionally very easy to use. Price is another issue, and its is much lower then the rest.

Assuming your using a PC then a great cataloging tool is Thumbs plus From looking at Adobe's information on Lightroom, they stress many other features other than RAW. Lightroom uses the same converter that CS4 uses. Bibble is a RAW converter and does a great job, stand alone or thru CS as the default converter. One feature that is great "setting image setting". Example you have just shot a series of photos of building. Correct one image, 2 mouse clicks and save your correction settings as default. All of your photos will be corrected by default using those settings. I don't know if Lightroom does that but Adobe RAW does not. Same is true for studio work, all shots from a session can be quickly converted.

But like Photoshop there are 10 ways to do the same job. It all depends on the technician

Download and try Bibble a full version is free to try. Then decide

Last edited:

Ron Morse

Thanks everyone for all the info.

Johnny, I'll look into the profiles.

Bill, I think I'll give the trial version a go.