• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Lightroom3 beta for Macs and Windows

nicolas claris

OPF Co-founder/Administrator
Hi all
For those who use LR2 (and others…), Lightroom3 beta for Macs and Windows now is available:
http://labs.adobe.com/technologies/lightroom3/

Anyone Can Try Out the New Lightroom 3 Beta
The Lightroom 3 beta program is available to the public, so that means anyone with an Internet connection can download it and start putting it to the test. You do not need to own (or have tried) a previous version of Lightroom. The version of Lightroom 3 beta software available for download is offered in English only. You can download the beta and use it until the product expires. The current Lightroom 3 public beta will expire on April 30, 2010.

JohanElzenga

Lightroom 3 Beta cannot convert existing Lightroom 2 catalogs and creating a new catalog and use it for anything more than just a bit of testing is dangerous to say the least. There is no guarantee that the final version will still work with these beta catalogs, for example.

Adobe says the final version will bring in your old 2.5 catalogs.. If I remember right the V2 beta wouldn't bring in the V1 catalogs.. But when the final version came out I was able to upgrade my V1 catalogs. Actually I would rather have it that way. I don't want to mess up my existing catalogs until V3 is real.
I'm just hoping the sharpening and noise reduction work better. You could get some really funky looking over sharpening with both V1 and V2.. and the noise reduction is OK, but I always felt it could be better.
I watched the three videos and there seems to be a couple of nice changes/upgrades.
But unfortunately if I like it I will have to buy it..........

Andrew Stannard

pro member
I'm just hoping the sharpening and noise reduction work better. You could get some really funky looking over sharpening with both V1 and V2

In my initial playing around with V3 I've found the the whole RAW de-mosaicing and sharpening is much improved - certainly for landscape scenes with lots of fine detail. The slightly plastic look I felt was occasionally there previously is now gone.

Luminance noise reduction is temporarily disabled for V3, but the colour noise reduction seems to be vastly improved for high ISO shots - better than any other tool I've tried, particularly with low-resolution blotches.

BTW, this is all with Canon 20D RAW files - haven't tried anything else through the tool yet.

CHeers,

Ken Tanaka

pro member
There was a time when I eagerly fiddled with pre-release software. That time, however, is long past. I'll let the folks afflicted with gottahavititis, like Michael Reichmann, spend his time dinking with this stuff.

Tim Armes

Hi,

Allow me to reiterate again this very important point: Do NOT use LR3 for production work.

This is an early beta and is far from feature complete. They've released this beta far earlier in the cycle than they did for the LR2 beta to give user more chance to give feedback on its progression, but it's no where near stable enough for a real work environment.

Tim

Andrew Stannard

pro member
Do NOT use LR3 for production work.

Agreed - But it's still fun to play if you have the time!

Tim - sent an email about the Mogrify plugin via contact page on Photographers Tool Box. DOn't know if you picked it up or not.

Seems to work fine in LR3 for normal exports, but throws up an error message if used as part of a 'Publish To HardDrive'. Error message I've been getting is:

"Can't Update This Collection. An internal error has occurred:?:0:
attempt to call method 'fillInDefaultSettings' (a nil value)"

No idea if this is a Mogrify error or Lightroom error, but would be a useful thing to be sorted for the final release.

Tim Armes

Hi,

All my plugins will be modified to work with LR3.

However, this isn't currently my priority for reasons that will become apparent in a few days...

:)

Tim