• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Street Portraits, a Developing Personal Collection

doug anderson

DSC4063-L.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

doug anderson

Another Street Portrait

Here's one more:

DSC4772-L.jpg

Doug Anderson: Another Street Portrait

Enjoy,

Doug

John Wolf

I shoot street but never take candid portraits of strangers. This one makes me want to give it a try. It strikes me as just about perfect. The face, eyes, expression, pose, color, composition -- everything comes together. Thanks for sharing it.

John

John Wolf

DSC4063-L.jpg

Hi Doug,

Compared to your second posting, this one is pleasant but really doesn't do much for me. I think it's because there's not as much character showing. And, unlike the other, the setting here doesn't contribute anything. In fact it detracts.

I see from your tag line that you're an HCB fan. His environmental portraits are about as good as it gets, in my view. Even in assignment shoots, he might spend an afternoon with the subject, but take only two or three photos, always waiting for the decisive moment, both visually and emotionally.

Contrasting your two photos makes me realize how much everything must come together and contribute in order to make a superb candid portrait. Thanks for the thought-provoking pairing.

John

doug anderson

Boxcar

Boxcar says, "Two things about me: I never told a lie and I'm a virgin."

201204290488-s-L.jpg

Doug Anderson: Boxcar

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Doug,

I really applaud the idea of you seeking out interesting folk to photograph, like this. What lens do you use? IOW, are you reaching across a street with a long lens or is this casual snapping as you pass, pausing just for a moment? do you make eye contact before or afterwards or just continue on?

I was surprised when the fashion photographer teacher, Frank Dorhoof was unable to get himself to shoot strangers on the streets of Beverly Hills, when he visited a little while back. Apparently, in some european countries this is not considered good manners.

Fahim, OTOH, tells me that he usually has made some friendly contact with the folk before getting the picture with there consent and perhaps, enthusiasm too.

So, obviously, there are a lot of variations in photographer-subject vibrations going on in street photography.

Asher

Asher Kelman

The exifs tell a 50mm f/1.8 on a Nikon D300.

Jerome,

That would suggest a closer distance to the subjects and therefore, perhaps, display of more social candor in the making of the pictures than than the craft of candid photography.

I wonder whether this was the case.

doug anderson

I try to engage people who I think might be otherwise difficult. This guy turned out to be very funny and open.

I was using a Sigma 24-70 and would have preferred to have my 50mm mounted for the occasion. Also, I've been advised that I should have shot it at his level in order to avoid the perspective distortion in the door.

Asher Kelman

Boxcar says, "Two things about me: I never told a lie and I'm a virgin."

201204290488-s-L.jpg

Doug Anderson: Boxcar

I try to engage people who I think might be otherwise difficult. This guy turned out to be very funny and open.

Doug,

The other alternative is to use a longer lens.

............... Also, I've been advised that I should have shot it at his level in order to avoid the perspective distortion in the door.

The odd angles fit in with the character of the fellow. I'd be more interested to know how you might like the effect of more limited DOF, using a wide aperture. This fellow is likely to be a regular at that particular location. So perhaps you can go back and experiment.

Asher