• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Canon Rebel Series

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Anybody here tried to use any of the Canon Rebel DSLRs? I'd love to hear feedback from real photographers. Thanks!

Jacque,

Excellent value for money but a mostly plastic body. Very light for travel and an extra camera. Great for everything today as there are even ultrawide angle lenses.

There are built in limits on the quality of focus. However today these perform very well even up to ISO 800.

If you can afford it, the 7D is rugged and weather-sealed. Otherwise, the latest Rebels are superb value for money. A used 1DII or 5D would be even better.

Asher

In all honesty, would you prefer (for the same amount of money I mean) a Canon or for example a Nikon D3100 (or D5000?) (or any other brand I'm thinking about Pentax as well)? The Nikon, regardless of the picture quality, always look more sturdy and better finished (less plastiky look). To me at least...

Nill Toulme

The Rebel T2i (550D) is my backup/third/family/travel/knockaround body, alongside a 1D4 and a 1D2n. For those purposes, I am about as close to completely satisfied with it as I think I reasonably can be. Its image quality is wonderful, handling is just fine (and I have large hands), portability is superb. Mated with the excellent 15-85 IS, it's a great package and a terrific value.

I do add the battery grip when I'm using it with large lenses (70-200 f/2.8 and 400 f/2.8).

Nill

Mike Shimwell

Jacque

Before rushing to buy a new Canon, spend some time with your Nikon D60. There are endless wasted words over which is better and it doesn't really matter. They all take pictures. I don't even know what a Nikon D60 is compared to a D40, or a D40x or D..., but unless it is actually getting in the way of you making the pictures you want, then you won't benefit by changing it.

You are the one making the pictures and the tech is just a means to that end.

Just my penny's worth.

Mike

Asher Kelman

The Rebel T2i (550D)
I do add the battery grip when I'm using it with large lenses (70-200 f/2.8 and 400 f/2.8).

Nill

Is that from amazon for ~ $24 or from Canon $135

Also, a question, besides mass and that's partially corrected by the grip, and weatherproofing and focus speed, what pro features are missing?

Asher

fahim mohammed

I'd love to hear feedback from real photographers.

Thanks!

Hello again Jacque...

Answer in 3 parts, in no particular order; except for #1

1. ' Real ' photographers use NIKON

2. Yes, I have used the ' KISS ' series from Canon. Wonderful.

3. It doesn't matter which camera you use. 6 megapixels is enough for printing 8 x 10 and more.

4. To photograph what ?

Regards.

p.s here is photograph on my wall taken with a 6 megapixel camera. 8 x 10; a less than $75 lens.

p277039158.jpg

To quote a salesman (a colleague of mine) in a photo department store where I used to work. Real photographers use Leica.

Said that to a customer, selling a €1000 Nikon...Nice approach of customer service :)

Chris Kettle

I have the Canon 550D (Rebel T2i) and I'm really satisfied with it.
It has most of the features of the 7D, however I just have to be careful and treat it with respect as it is not as hard wearing as the more expensive models.

I particually like the high resolution screen so that I can see the shot in lots of detail and check that it is ok before I move onto the next scene.

fahim mohammed

Actually, as Fahim knows perfectly well. Real Photographers(TM) use film.

:)

Mike

To quote a salesman (a colleague of mine) in a photo department store where I used to work. Real photographers use Leica.

Said that to a customer, selling a €1000 Nikon...Nice approach of customer service :)

Mike you are right and so was the salesman...

p116954564.jpg

This and a good woman besides him, are most a man would need. Except. of course, to a place to get to see the results.

fahim mohammed

Excellent news! One less item I never have to carry!

Instincively, never gelled with the polaroids. I know why now.

What!

Alain Briot

pro member
As we all know the better the camera the more interesting the photo, real photographers use film and a Leica will make you the next Cartier Bresson.

Seriously, the rebel series is great if you are looking for an unexpensive (relatively speaking), compact and llightweight DSLR. I personally get tired of lugging a 1DsMk3 around. It's over 4 pounds with a 24-70. But then I miss all the features and reliability when I use a rebel . . . so I gave my rebel to my 15yo neighbor!

An excellent, compact and lightweight camera is the new Panasonic GH2. Hard to find right now but very good.

Mike Shimwell

Alain,

I know that you are no longer a real photographer(TM) as I understand that you have moved entirely to digital, but given you use medium format kit now, would a Leica M9 be a suitable replacement for your heavy 1Ds3? It could also make you the next eHCB, no?

There is a serious question within the humour here. I wonder what you use the 1Ds3 for now?

Mike

fahim mohammed

Yep.

Just like medium format, or the Big D series will make one the next Ansel Adams.

p.s Won't make one a gentleman though. For that one needs a polaroid.

Alain Briot

pro member
Alain,

I know that you are no longer a real photographer(TM) as I understand that you have moved entirely to digital, but given you use medium format kit now, would a Leica M9 be a suitable replacement for your heavy 1Ds3? It could also make you the next eHCB, no?

There is a serious question within the humour here. I wonder what you use the 1Ds3 for now?

Mike

Mike,

I've tried everything. I have one (M9) also an M7 (in case film brought more luck) but it's hopeless. I did not become HCB, even though I'm French and my sister lives in a street named after him where his family had their thread factory in Pantin, N. of Paris.

I use 35mm digital when I don't want to lug the digital back camera. For example right now I'm photographing cars and although the digital back would give me high quality, it's just no fun for a subject where I need mobility.

Here's some done this past week. Click the 'Next' button at top right to see the others:

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=8267072&id=524500800

Asher Kelman

Alain,

I enjoyed the cars! Such a great variety to polish and keep clean! Not using a 35mm camera could be a pain, but an M9 would deem just right!

Asher

Alain Briot

pro member
Alain,

I enjoyed the cars! Such a great variety to polish and keep clean! Not using a 35mm camera could be a pain, but an M9 would deem just right!

Asher

Thanks Asher. It's not that much work. First, they're not all mines, then those that are I keep in a garage. Also it never snows here, and when it rains, which is rare, I don't take them out.

If you're into cars one thing I found is the importance of having collector car insurance for the cars you don't drive regularly. It's over half of regular insurance. There's a few conditions, but if you meet those then the savings are significant.

Alain Briot

pro member
Cem,

You are welcome. I thought my Facebook galleries were accessible to all, facebook user or not, but apparently they are not. There's more to Facebook than I know!

Tom Owen Meinen

If I were getting an inexpensive Canon DSLR, I would get a somewhat older xxD series rather than a Rebel. They're better built and have the easier dial interface. You can get a 40D for around $500, body only. And the nifty fifty lens runs about $115 new. That's some good gear pretty cheap and you can keep adding lenses.

On the other hand, did someone say you have a Nikon D70? That's older technology, but it's quite capable in skilled hands.