• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Post Processing: Ever feel like you're in a rut? I do.

Jerome Love

I've started to feel lately that I have kind of a routine that I go through when I process images. I do whatever adjustments are needed (if any) and then some cleaning up and maybe some film filters but it's starting to feel like a rut. Any ideas or links for inspiration? I like my work and am happy with its quality but I feel like I'm starting to produce a product and not something new each time.

Am I expecting too much in this sense?

I'm also starting to grow weary of my angles and crops? I think I need to visit the book store for some inspiration.

All thoughts are welcome.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
I've started to feel lately that I have kind of a routine that I go through when I process images. I do whatever adjustments are needed (if any) and then some cleaning up and maybe some film filters but it's starting to feel like a rut. Any ideas or links for inspiration? I like my work and am happy with its quality but I feel like I'm starting to produce a product and not something new each time. Am I expecting too much in this sense?
What do you think of the eager dedicated surgeon who realizes that after lunch he has to do 20 follow up prostate exams! Or how about a surgeon who would love to save lives but has another 10 patients with varicose veins to strip and is not enjoying the work?

There are routine parts of all jobs.

I'm also starting to grow weary of my angles and crops? I think I need to visit the book store for some inspiration. All thoughts are welcome.

Jerome,

This is why I visit all the galleries I can and get inspired again. However, my work is either for big events or for my own art. Your own needs are different. Still, getting a regular challenge of other peoples work is great.

I think it's a good idea to have a pocket camera to capture impulsively when there is no price to pay for doing things outrageously new. I throw away almost everything then but keep some for texture or new ideas.

What do you feel needs refreshing, your professional work, your personal work or lifer in general?

The latter is just the easiest to answer: go to bed with someone who you enjoy waking up with, have people you can share getting old with and kids that bring grandchildren and of course good health and enough money to not go without what is essential.

Asher

Some years ago I felt like this about photography itself, having taken mostly B&W photos since 1975 (and developing them in my own darkroom and darkrooms at work for decades). Once digital became popular several years ago I felt a new spark and got back into the game, doing a different style of work from what I had done before, and some similar. And of course it's all shot in color now!

You didn't mention if you do your post-processing for work or not; if so, that would be a passion-killer right there! Nothing like adding a level of obligation to something we love, and probably doing it for someone else.

Regardless, I would suggest the following:

•Shoot with a single focal length for awhile (wide or extreme tele), and see if you approach your subjects differently

•Change subject matter if possible

•Limit yourself to a single tight geographic location or subject for practice in seeing differently

•Shoot without looking at the LCD screen (grab shots)

•Shoot slanted compositions or different angles (my own work has tended to be too conservative and tidy in terms of composition)

•When post-processing, change tools. Use Photoshop if you use PaintShop Pro or vice-versa. Or try GIMP or Paint.net for free. Same goes for plug-ins and actions. Use ones you never used before.

Let us know if any of this helps!

Jerome Love

Thanks you Asher and Mike for the comments.

Asher,

Thank you for the reality check. Sometimes I think that I am too nieve in thinking that photography is always going to give me the same level of satisfaction at all points.

As far as refreshing goes. It's mostly work related. I've been blessed with great gallery owners here in Sacramento and I've been preparing for this trip to South Africa so I want to make sure I'm on my A game for this new experience. I want to have things to try and ideas to work with. I shoot almost exclusively with a 50mm so I think I might grab some other lenses out of the bag to play with it.

Mike,

I have begun to play with new post processing tools for a quick fix and am pleased with the results thus far. I've also gotten into a cycling club so I may take my camera along to try and spruce up my subject matter. I'll let you know how it turns out!

Jerome

Asher Kelman

Thanks you Asher and Mike for the comments.

Asher,

.......... I've been preparing for this trip to South Africa so I want to make sure I'm on my A game for this new experience. I want to have things to try and ideas to work with. I shoot almost exclusively with a 50mm so I think I might grab some other lenses out of the bag to play with it.
Take the minimum with you if you are going to the cities by yourself. Theft and violence has unfortunately become rather common. Do a search here on Dowid's terrible experience!

Asher

Last edited:

Asher Kelman

Jerome, me too! I shall stop by some bookstores shortly!
Fahim,

Back on topic,

With your travels, you don't need much renewal just time to go through your photographs. I am sure we ionly use a small fraction of what we have. Still, every so often one deserves a new book.

Hopefully then one is inspired to mine one's treasure packed hard drives and present pictures in a new way.

Asher

Kathy Rappaport

pro member
New skills

I think we get in a rut because we only know one way.

In March I am taking a week long Lightroom and PS Class at the Santa Fe Workshops from Jerry Courvisier who is one of the top gurus of Lightroom and PS - he's taught digital lab classes around the world. That said so many of us would rather shoot then sit at a computer - a necessity in the digital world today.

Jerome Love

I think we get in a rut because we only know one way.

In March I am taking a week long Lightroom and PS Class at the Santa Fe Workshops from Jerry Courvisier who is one of the top gurus of Lightroom and PS - he's taught digital lab classes around the world. That said so many of us would rather shoot then sit at a computer - a necessity in the digital world today.

I've definitely been in that direction. I recently got my hands on Joey Lawrences (love or hate him, he still is a master marketer) tutorials so I've checked those out. They've definitely given me some new perspective.

Asher,

I've read and talked with Dawid about his experiences and I will always be traveling in groups, but I just gotta keep my head on a swivel. For this trip I've been looking for a more photojournalistic approach mixed in with my commercial leaning so I know the commercial photogs any suggestions on the PJ side?

Asher Kelman

........ For this trip I've been looking for a more photojournalistic approach mixed in with my commercial leaning so I know the commercial photogs any suggestions on the PJ side?

Jerome,

I use several approaches. I stop at a restaurant and have a drink and something to read. Actually, I've prefocused on a particular area and just shoot according to who appears. Other times I shoot while from a doorway. This is good in the rain as people are very inward thinking and just don't want to get wet. I sometime use a wide angle lens and aim at some other structure and so the interesting person will be in the frame. I then continue to pay attention to the other structure as folk go on their way.

Of course one can use a long lens and reach across the street. That works too. However it's not a good idea to use long white lenses!

Asher