• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Nikon D1 files…

nicolas claris

OPF Co-founder/Administrator
It happened to me today to have to process an old file…
The file were shot with a Nikon D1 (not D1x or D1h, but D1), though the file extention is TIF, AFAI remember, it is a raw file…

As I have moved from the Nikon world a long time ago, I don't have anymore the Nikon softwares but I thought I could use some raw developpers such as C1 pro, C1 4.7, LR2 and ACR (CS4) both with ACRplugin 5.3, Raw Converter… none could open the file except Graphic Converter…

Does anyone as a suggestion? (I'm on Mac Intel)

Thanks!

Andrew Stannard

pro member
Hi,

No solution for you I'm afraid, but interested to hear that the extension is TIF.

According to an article at outback photo (linked below) it was the D1 that introduced the NEF format for raw files....

Link

nicolas claris

Thanks Andrew…

At least I can still open them with Graphic Converter (the old Nikon SW I have are for Mac OS 9…)…
Yes they are original files, below is the full exif…

exif_D1.gif

I also have some (many!) nefs files from the D1x that I easily open with all raw converters, but until when?
There is no need to keep the old SW if one cannot run them with new OSs. Maybe the solution is DNG, but these tifs from the D1 aren't convertible to DNG. I tried!

John Sheehy

Thanks Andrew…

At least I can still open them with Graphic Converter (the old Nikon SW I have are for Mac OS 9…)…
Yes they are original files, below is the full exif…

exif_D1.gif

Are the files 5.1MB? If so, they are probably not RAW; they are already converted. I'd say keep trying until you find a program that loads them. There are many file viewing/editing programs that are free and will let you save as another format that is more universal.

Bill Miller

Nicolas,

Try Bibble, their converter still handles the older formats. For a vendor Capture One, Adobe, or others to quit supporting cameras is not right. They need to realize that RAW files are the photographers negative.

Download Bibble's free trial and try that. Here is a list of their supported cameras http://bibblelabs.com/products/bibble/specs.html

I've used it for 4 years now. No complaints, and its fast. Ask Stephen Eastwood about Bibble he uses it also.

John Sheehy

Are the files 5.1MB? If so, they are probably not RAW; they are already converted. I'd say keep trying until you find a program that loads them. There are many file viewing/editing programs that are free and will let you save as another format that is more universal.

I take that back. 16-bit TIFF with 4 wasted bits could be the container for the RAW data. I have read, however, that the camera does a non-RGB TIFF format (YCrCbY-TIFF) that I thought it might have been (and still could be, if the RAW format for the camera is .NEF).

nicolas claris

These tiff files are (were) straight out of the camera.
Photoshop could never open them in the past. I do rember that they were raw files and at that time everyone did complain to Nikon for being called TIFFs!

I tried Bibble (V4) on a friend's computer and it did not open the file (D1 was even not an option as camera in the opening window)…

But that's fine, anyway I can open them with Graphic Converter (www.lemkesoft.com).

However this is a good lesson! we are in a society were immediate has priority on past. This is the only reason to regret film! LoL!

I am sure that in 2019 Canon nor Nikon and any other camera maker will care about today's Nefs or CR2s! And no computer OS will be ble to run nowadays raw converters…

:-(

Paul Caldwell

The RAW file from the D1 was .nef I still have a few thousand of them.

The D1 would also save a file in camera as a tif and that must be what you have. Not sure why CS or other tools won't open such tif files, however they are not RAW.

If you saved as a tif, then it's the same as saving as a jpg, just a lot more data. You still don't have a digital negative file that can be worked in CS or Capture etc.

CS3 and CS4 both will open a D1 nef file (raw) and process it.

Paul Caldwell

nicolas claris

The RAW file from the D1 was .nef I still have a few thousand of them.

The D1 would also save a file in camera as a tif and that must be what you have. Not sure why CS or other tools won't open such tif files, however they are not RAW.

If you saved as a tif, then it's the same as saving as a jpg, just a lot more data. You still don't have a digital negative file that can be worked in CS or Capture etc.

CS3 and CS4 both will open a D1 nef file (raw) and process it.

Paul Caldwell

Hello Paul!
Thanks for your post.
My memory is failing, but what is sure is that these tifs comes dirctly from the camera, none of the photoshop version will open them (something wrong with a color tag).
Till now I can only open them with Nikon Capture (which I could download recently) and the shareware Graphic Converter. All other raw converters do fail…
But as said before, that's fine (for now!)

John Sheehy

Hello Paul!
Thanks for your post.
My memory is failing, but what is sure is that these tifs comes dirctly from the camera, none of the photoshop version will open them (something wrong with a color tag).
Till now I can only open them with Nikon Capture (which I could download recently) and the shareware Graphic Converter. All other raw converters do fail…
But as said before, that's fine (for now!)

The D1 is supposed to output RGB and YCrCb TIFFs.