Open Photography Forums  
HOME FORUMS NEWS FAQ SEARCH

Go Back   Open Photography Forums > Digital Darkroom > Image Processing and Workflow

Image Processing and Workflow RAW, DNG , TIFF and JPG. From Capture to Ready for Publish/Display. All software and techniques used within an image workflow, (except extensive retouching and repair or DAM).

Old May 12th, 2010, 08:25 PM

Default Phtoshop CS5 - Automatic application of IPTC metadata?

I have not been a serious Photoshop user, but I'm making my peace with the beast.

Somehow, I had been under the impression that PS could automatically apply user-preset IPTC metadata (or additional Exif metadata) by default to each edited file (for example, a copyright notice, photographer's contact information, standard usage terms, etc.).

But I don't seem to find any provision for doing such, nor any mention of it in the Help system.

I am of course aware of the possibility of creating metadata templates and summoning one when processing an image. Perhaps that was what people had been speaking of.

I'd appreciate any additional information on this.

Thanks.
Old May 13th, 2010, 05:04 AM
pro member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug_Kerr View Post
I have not been a serious Photoshop user, but I'm making my peace with the beast.

Somehow, I had been under the impression that PS could automatically apply user-preset IPTC metadata (or additional Exif metadata) by default to each edited file (for example, a copyright notice, photographer's contact information, standard usage terms, etc.).

But I don't seem to find any provision for doing such, nor any mention of it in the Help system.

I am of course aware of the possibility of creating metadata templates and summoning one when processing an image. Perhaps that was what people had been speaking of.

I'd appreciate any additional information on this.

Thanks.
Hi Doug,

I'm currently waiting for the delivery of my PS CS5, so I don't know what, if anything, has changed, but on my CS3 file info dialog box there is a cicular icon with an arrow at the top right, a fly-out menu.

There you can save your current information, and later apply it with one click to other files.

Cheers,
Bart
Old May 13th, 2010, 06:07 AM

Hi, Bart,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bart_van_der_Wolf View Post
I'm currently waiting for the delivery of my PS CS5, so I don't know what, if anything, has changed, but on my CS3 file info dialog box there is a cicular icon with an arrow at the top right, a fly-out menu.

There you can save your current information, and later apply it with one click to other files.
I think that may be comparable to the provision in PS CS5 for saving the current metadata to a named template, and later, calling that back to apply to the then-current file.

Jerry Skrocki pointed out in another forum where I had also posted this inquiry that the metadata held in a template could be applied en masse to multiple files under Bridge.

Thanks for your input.

Best regards,

Doug
Old May 15th, 2010, 04:42 AM

Doug,

You could create an action that contains whatever EXIF information, like a filled out copyright notice page to apply to the file, if you haven't looked into that.

Mike
Old May 15th, 2010, 05:55 AM

Hi, Mike,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bailey View Post
You could create an action that contains whatever EXIF information, like a filled out copyright notice page to apply to the file, if you haven't looked into that.
Good point. Thanks.

Best regards,

Doug