• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Pentax........

ErikJonas

Banned
When is Pentax going to have breaking news about a new bigger camera...Like a 18.5 MP camera or 20 MP....Or a full frame sensor...I'm sure they are working hard on one some where....I love my K20D but would really love a Full Frame Pentax....*Waits*...

Cem_Usakligil

When is Pentax going to have breaking news about a new bigger camera...Like a 18.5 MP camera or 20 MP....Or a full frame sensor...I'm sure they are working hard on one some where....I love my K20D but would really love a Full Frame Pentax....*Waits*...
Hi Erik,

The "Breaking News" forum is moderated, meaning that only moderators can post there. Posts from other members need to be approved first. If you would have had real news, I'd approve the thread but since you are just asking an open question and do not really have any news to report, I have moved it to the appropriate forum.

Cheers,

Steve Robinson

That's an often asked question Erik. Perhaps at PMA next month. I'd be really surprised if they announce a FF DSLR as they've been working on and off on the 645D which is more likely. I like my K20D's too, but I'd like to see a K30D with an improved AF and higher FPS. Wishing us both the best of luck.

Good shooting.

ErikJonas

Banned
Hi Steve...Whats PMA?...Pentax Members Association?

Improved AF...Say in lower light maybe?..I think at some point i'll set money aside to get another K20D an have one as a back up.....The camera is a great step over what i had and will do fine....Just having a full frame and being able to shoot at high ISO with no noise..Would impact my photography....

Steve Robinson

Another thing to consider is the file size of a full frame image. This requires a larger buffer and will have lower file transfer speeds. Then there are no FF Pentax digital lenses and except for the FA Limited lenses not much else is available unless you want to use older 35mm lenses. This is why I don't think Pentax will make a FF dSLR. I could be wrong though as I often am.

ErikJonas

Banned
Steve I see your from Montana my dads home state...Specifically Billings...

Well my photography will go on without a full frame sensor, without the camera being able to do video and all the other un-needed things added onto Nikon and other brands...

Thanks though Steve.............

Larry Brown

Yes FF would be nice but I am sure they are working on one but as others have said the 645D is soon to be released and there have been more than one rumor that seems to think maybe FF 35mm format in a year or so.Many have also mentioned of the lack of a lens line up for FF.Some of the DA's will do FF but not well.If FF is coming maybe the lens line up with WR like the recently released 100mm macro that's WR(I believe is FF)will be an indicator to the future but for now I am quite happy with my cropped sensor-ed Pentaxes and lenses ........what I would like is better AF,more DR, better low light sensor response,less noise with better high ISO and a better flash system which may be around the corner!

Larry Brown

ErikJonas

Banned
Larry it seems Pentax has new cameras few and far between...If i had a dollar for every time Nikon came out with a new camera i'd be buying you lunch in no time...

Better AF...Amen....Low light AF is really poor...

I have never compared noise at ISO 400 or 800 with other cameras so i dont know what its like...ISO 400 on the K20D is too noisy an i rarely use it...By flash system do you mean the built in flash? Some how i dont think you do....

Larry Brown

Hi Erik,On the issue of noise for the K20D,yes the sensor for the K20 does show noise more than I like but to it's defence I have got excellent examples of very usable ISO 6400 images with it.To accomplish this it needs to be exposed well,to the right on histogram, but I have also found that if I develop my Raw files with ACR in Lightroom with the profile there it seems to deal with at least the chroma noise better there as well as noise in general.On long exposures I still prefer my K10D @100-200 ISO with the CCD sensor seems to do better there which is one of the main reasons I kept it. I have never used the Pentax supplied software so I can not form an opinion if you are using that.
About the flash,Pentax uses their P-TTL system and can be better IMO but not really bad but sometimes you have to work with it some,probably true with all to some degree.The Pentax wireless system could be better but OK for most work I do but if they could improve more towards the Nikon type of CLS system would be better,nothing wrong in wishing ,right?

Larry

Larry it seems Pentax has new cameras few and far between...If i had a dollar for every time Nikon came out with a new camera i'd be buying you lunch in no time...

Better AF...Amen....Low light AF is really poor...

I have never compared noise at ISO 400 or 800 with other cameras so i dont know what its like...ISO 400 on the K20D is too noisy an i rarely use it...By flash system do you mean the built in flash? Some how i dont think you do....

I am a newbie here, just signed up today, and yes, I am a Pentaxian. Apparently this thread lost its steam and no one has posted here for quite some time. I recently saw a post on another forum that Pentax (Ricoh) is working on a full frame DSLR which should be announced soon. There was minimal information regarding the number of megapixels and other information, but the company planned to announce it soon.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
I am a newbie here, just signed up today, and yes, I am a Pentaxian. Apparently this thread lost its steam and no one has posted here for quite some time. I recently saw a post on another forum that Pentax (Ricoh) is working on a full frame DSLR which should be announced soon. There was minimal information regarding the number of megapixels and other information, but the company planned to announce it soon.

My gosh, I was wondering how you signed in today as a new member!! But I see you've been here for a long time!

It does seem that Pentax is well supported by a Ricoh and they have been putting out great new lenses. The APS C cameras are in a class with Sony, Canon, Nikon and Olympus. I do not see any practical limit in their DLRS right now for pro photographers.

...and yes a full sized body is likely or announced by the time I post this!

Asher

nicolas claris

OPF Co-founder/Administrator

Hi Charles
I'm a Pentaxian too : D
You'll find some infos there and some more images here

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
I did sign in today, Asher. Could you explain what you mean that I've been here a long time?

You wrote that you "signed in" today, and I then thought you had just joined, LOL! I wondered how you got through the registration process without me realizing it as there are numerous filters to make sure that just photographers can join and participate.

I hope now you will share some of your work and feel free to comment on whatever you fancy!

I am happy you are here and as for Pentax, it has my greatest love and devotion as a past and current user of the Pentax Spotmatic film camera! original Battery cant be replaced but it still works fine!

Asher