• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Wildlife: Call for Photos & Opinions on Zoo v. Free Animal Behavior Differences

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
We need your opinion as someone experienced and or keenly interested in wildlife.

We actively seek out wildlife photography. Portraits are easy to put as one wishes, I'd imagine. However, for behaviors, there may be strong opinions. This we'd like to air.

1. Should the activity or behaviors of animals photographed captive in local zoos be considered separately from the natural habitats?

2. Should folk just posts as they feel and then we'd collect examples to groups as we proceed?

I encouraged Winston Mitchell to start a new thread on animal with some natural behaviors here I realized that a wild animal hunting free outside a zoo is exhibiting natural behavior. However animals that are captive might have altered activity based on confined quarters and being fed by man.

There's already a separate thread on wild animals in action here[/url, but most are zoo animals! They are wild, for sure but are captive! Should pictures of behaviors or "action" be separated or not?

So first, can you give your opinion on this?

Secondly, this post is also a Call for wildlife pictures! Don, Winston, Mike Spinak, Jaime and so many others here are knowledgeable on wildlife and with access to contribute. We want more! One does not have to be any biologist to find great subjects! Doug is our captive technical guru, brimming with math and explanations of color spaces and so much more. His serial pictures of starlings showing behaviors as the nests are built, eggs laid and hatchlings looked after is an example of wild but urban. So please look through your catalogs to provide a large showroom for wildlife.

Not only are wildlife pictures so enjoyable, but the more we show them in a general site like OPF, the more consciousness is raised to protect this fragile treasure. For now, I go for the beauty!

Asher