• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

From my office window...

A77II0-001445.jpg

Male American Goldfinch, Boise, Idaho

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief

A77II0-001445.jpg

Male American Goldfinch, Boise, Idaho

Winston,

I am struck by your good fortune. how close was it?

It never seeks to amaze the when I see such a bright beautiful and highly noticeable bird - how on earth do they survive raptors with such obvious coats!

Asher

There are always birds around.
However, they do change with the seasons.
Some Summer here, some Winter here and some pass through in the Spring and Fall.

Asher Kelman

There are always birds around.
However, they do change with the seasons.
Some Summer here, some Winter here and some pass through in the Spring and Fall.

Well then, Winston, given those trees are so close to your window, I hope you keep that long lens ready!

Good luck!

Asher

Asher Kelman

Sony Sal 70400g. It's good for grandkids too ;-)

A great choice!

So, Winston, are you also fortunate to have the new and reportedly remarkable Sony A99 II full frame camera body too..... with the fabulous sensor from the A7RII?

I'm thinking about that as a possible new main camera.

Asher

Asher Kelman

I much prefer the reach of the 24 mpx APS-C sensors in my A77M2 bodies.

Hmm! They would give about the same resolution! 44/ 1.6 is 27.5 hardly more than what you have with the A77M, so it makes sense!

With the larger sensor and the same lens, the extra pixels would be outside your chosen composition, anyway! To make use of those extra pixels, and have more resolution, (which I doubt you need), one would rent a 600 mm lens.

.....Your camera is lighter too!

Still that A99II is a prize of a new camera! Maybe better for full length portraits and landscapes where those pixels can do something useful!

Asher

Asher Kelman

"Reach" is determined by sensor pixel pitch.
A99II is 4.4 microns.
A77II is 3.9 microns

Interesting idea, Winston.

But what if I use a larger format camera with larger but far better "pixels" and a great area of sensor assigned to the bird?

So I could use a Fuji MF digital Mirrorlex GFX camera with 50 MP, much larger pixels and double the number of pixels assigned to the bird!

Asher

Three numbers determine how many pixels get on any given bird: subject distance, focal length and pixel density. That's it. Not very complicated.

Doug Kerr

Hi, Winston,

Three numbers determine how many pixels get on any given bird: subject distance, focal length and pixel density. That's it. Not very complicated.

Indeed.

And the derived property "reach" can be considered to be a measure of how many pixels get on a certain object area for an object at a certain distance, or to generalize it, how many pixels get on an object area subtending a unit solid angle.

That property is in turn a function of focal length and pixel density (for focus at any fairly large distance). Its unit is pixels per steradian.

Best regards,

Doug