• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Red necked wallaby

Andy brown

This little girl was in the garden today.
Very shy but got a quick shot off.
Good luck trying to work out what's going on with the joey, upside down, ears, tail, back foot, it's a jumble.

Andy brown

Hi Cem,
yeah, I'm in the bush, my boundary is national park so I get some visitors, goannas, swamp wallabies, eastern grey kangaroos, echidnas, possums, great birdlife.
It's lovely despite a massive bushfire risk and the odd snake, scorpion or funnel web spider in the house.
I'll try to post shots of swamp wallabies soon, they're my favourites.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
This little girl was in the garden today.
Very shy but got a quick shot off.
Good luck trying to work out what's going on with the joey, upside down, ears, tail, back foot, it's a jumble.

This is doubly wonderful: you posting pictures once more and then the surprise of a wild creature like this in your backyard! That Joey is nice and cozy, upside down or not.

Asher

Andy brown

New Spring Joey in town.
I first saw this little one about six weeks ago, its head was about an inch and a half long just poking out of the pouch. Couldn't get a shot, mum was too shy.
They grow so fast.

Red%20neck%20joey%202_zps9zagh3zb.jpg

Asher Kelman

New Spring Joey in town.
I first saw this little one about six weeks ago, its head was about an inch and a half long just poking out of the pouch. Couldn't get a shot, mum was too shy.
They grow so fast.

Simply beautiful picture, Andy. I am so in love with this little chap or chapita, LOL!

When its merely one and a half inches long, presumably it has good claws to cling, or maybe a=some adhesive mucus? But does it also have fine fur at that stage and are the eyes open?

Asher

Andy brown

Thanks for your comments Asher. Yes I love this little one too.
Kangaroos and wallabies are born as almost embryos, barely an inch long and not even with fully formed lower limbs, they crawl to the pouch to resume their development.
This one looks like its fur is only recent, it does have a lovely velvety quality too.

Andy brown

New Spring Joey in town.
They grow so fast.

Some months on, still gorgeous but nearly as big as its Mum
DSC_2521%20red%20neck%20mum%20and%20bub%20screen%20size_zps7xnshqev.jpg

Asher Kelman

It's entirely unfair that the Aussies have the best marsupials!

These are so fascinating. Amazing that the little creatures can crawl their way to the pouch!

Asher