• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Challenge: Can you make My Brian Wilson photo not look blue/violet?

Will Thompson

Registrant*
Can you make My Brian Wilson photo not look blue/violet?

So far the fastest fix I have found for this kind of multi color stage lighting is to convert to B&W.

I am hoping some of our OPF retouching geniuses have or can come up with a semi quick fix for this some what common problem.

Thanks in advance to all who tackle this problem.

CRW_7983.jpg

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Well, this is a ghastly colored picture and seems as if it has laready been mesed with, especially the eyes!

Anyway, I had a quick try!

CRW_7983AK.jpg

Since you're my LF buddy, that's for you!

Asher

Kathy Rappaport

pro member
I tried

My approach was to pull out the blues using curves but I didn't do any better than Asher did. Then I worked a small amount of healing brush and cloned the right side and with some patience it was working but I did not have time to finish since I am supposed to be packing for vacation. The important thing is packed - the camera bag is ready!

Ray West

Hi,

I thought I'd play. Make a couple of layers. Desaturate one to give a B&W layer copy. The other layer, do a colour replacement of the blue shades with a skin tone from his lhs cheek - may as well do the whole face and hair, since not much blue in folk's skin. Then, with the b&W layer on top, adjust the opacity of the b&W layer until you get the detail back in the shadows, the way you want. I prefer the original, 'tho.

Best wishes,

Ray

cw.jpg

Klaus Esser

pro member
Hi,

I thought I'd play. Make a couple of layers. Desaturate one to give a B&W layer copy. The other layer, do a colour replacement of the blue shades with a skin tone from his lhs cheek - may as do the whole face and hair, since not much blue in folk's skin. Then, with the b&W layer on top, adjust the opacity of the b&W layer until you get the detail back in the shadows, the way you want. I prefer the original, 'tho.

Best wishes,

Ray

Well - why not b&w? It´s monochrome anyway . . . :) - besides of the little blue spots . .

best, Klaus

Ray West

Hi Klaus,

B&W is Ok, but I thought Will was after some colour, but not the blue/violet. The problem, I guess is with the coloured stage spotlights. Somehow, you need to change the colour of the lights, which are probably getting near monochrome. It would take a lot of detailed brushing/selecting, and Will was looking for a quick fix. The image does not interest me to try much else. i.e. I don't know who the subject is, and it's a jpeg, etc., and after a lot of effort wrt the colour (not talking about sharpening, or shadow/highlight detail here, it would still need improvement, and then, after maybe an hour or two's work, imho, the original would still be better. ;-)

Best wishes,

Ray

nicolas claris

OPF Co-founder/Administrator
Which one is impressive?

Have retried with a much simpler workflow:

Go to selection menu/color range
pick the blue, then add/pick the violet and the white of the chick
set the range about 125. Click OK

Extend your selection by 10 pixels

Feather selection by 5 pixels

With color picker, grab the good color of the right part of face (kind of orange)

Apply this color (solid color down your layer palette) to the selection into your new layer (set the layer to be color.

Modify transparency of layer up to taste Set layer to around 70% transparency

Flatten image

Set hue to +5 to get reds a bit less red and a bit more yellow, looks more "natural" to me.

CRW_7983_NC2.jpg

Klaus Esser

pro member
Hi Klaus,

B&W is Ok, but I thought Will was after some colour, but not the blue/violet. The problem, I guess is with the coloured stage spotlights. Somehow, you need to change the colour of the lights, which are probably getting near monochrome. It would take a lot of detailed brushing/selecting, and Will was looking for a quick fix. The image does not interest me to try much else. i.e. I don't know who the subject is, and it's a jpeg, etc., and after a lot of effort wrt the colour (not talking about sharpening, or shadow/highlight detail here, it would still need improvement, and then, after maybe an hour or two's work, imho, the original would still be better. ;-)

Best wishes,

Ray

Hi Ray!

The light is so bad on this image - there´s nothing seriously to be done. All must be a compromise.
The shadows are much too hard and too deep and the colour of the highlights . . well . . ;-)
The "classical" problem with stage photography without a fill-in light.

maybe a careful hand-colouring is a way to do it . .

best, Klaus

ok - another try :) :
CRW_7983-1.JPG

Cem_Usakligil

Here are the results by using LR only, no masks!

This is what I've achieved by playing aroung with HSL levels in LR, no masking or layering at all.

img_28276_0_163815183-O.jpg

I know that there is still some purple shade on the left hand side, but this I did intentionally.

Cheers,

Tim Armes

Hi Will,

What a challenge! Personally, I really like the mixed lighting - but to each his own.

I think that the easiest way to treat this photo is to turn is to black and white and then recolour it by hand. I wonder if anyone has the time/skill to give this a go?

Tim

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Hi Will,

What a challenge! Personally, I really like the mixed lighting - but to each his own.

I think that the easiest way to treat this photo is to turn is to black and white and then recolour it by hand. I wonder if anyone has the time/skill to give this a go?

Tim

Hi Tim,

Mine was hand colored for the lips and cheeks on top of a corrected colored layer with cast removed.

CRW_7983AK.jpg

Here's adding back a B&W layer and multiply at about 40%.

Asher

CRW_7983AK2.jpg

nicolas claris

Here's my new take made from your raw file.

Used C1 with:
- D30 sunset ICC profile
- extra shadow film curve
- minus 20 saturation
- 0.9 midtone level

Then in PS
my sharpening action, flatten, export for the web

A huge difference with your original image posted...

CRW_7983_NC3.jpg

Thanks for sharing!

Last edited:

Chip Springer

Last edited:

Will Thompson

Registrant*
Greetings Giovanni,

On my Apple LCD monitor I like yours very much.

Can you do a detailed account of how you adjusted it.

Thanks,

nicolas claris

Yes Will, of course you are right!

There's also Parallels Desktop and some more.

I have a Macpro among 7 other Macs and 2 PCs… all networked of course.
That is to say that I won't start again the Mac/PC fight ;-)

I ran once, for the fun, Windows XP on the Macpro, but I use a Mac.
I cannot imagine switching from an OS to the other in the middle of a workflow.

BTW, I don't feel the need of photoresampling, which doesn't mean that it is not a nice piece of software.…

Have a nice (end of) Sunday

[EDIT]
PS
and even:
codeweavers for Mac Intel only
which is cheap and doesn't required a Windows Licence…
[/EDIT]

Greetings Giovanni,

On my Apple LCD monitor I like yours very much.

Can you do a detailed account of how you adjusted it.

Thanks,

Hi Will,
I didn't remember exactly all steps and settings, so i tried to reproduce the final image once again. The new version developed is very close to the first one. These are the step used:

PhotoResampling software

1. Saturation -20
2. White Balance: From Temperature 5500 °K To Temperature 3000 °K. Chromaticity From -20 To +20
3. Saturation -15
4. Exposure +0.25
5. Adjust color: Red -10

After these steps photo become much better.
For a better result on the hair, i opened the photo in PhotoShop to remove a little red area still present using replace color.

That's it. By the way i think that the result could be improved working on it more.

Jacopo

Last edited: