• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Arctic Tern in flight

Anil Mungal

arctictern.jpg

I spent an hour observing these birds as they dove for fish. It was very difficult to time their entry in the water, so I had to settle for this flying portrait instead.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Fascinating shot. Just enough lighting on the wings. The fanned out tail feathers are remarkable. I can't imagine what muscles control them, but surely they must be actively positioned?

Asher

Andrew Stannard

pro member
Anil,

Like Asher I love the lighting of this shot - it seems to highlight the delicacy and lightness of the bird. What camera/lens setup where you using? Would be interesting to know your percentage of keepers.

Asher - You might find the following link useful. Can't remember why I ever had it bookmarked, but it has some interesting info on the muscle structure of a birds tail!

http://www.innerbird.com/pelvic_girdle/pelvic_girdle.html

Cheers,

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Well I learned that birds do have an extra muscle driven ball device which controls their tail feathers. Flying dynosaurs, however, did not! So that's something new!

So did control of tail feathers become a major survival advantage for birds. Perhaps it allowed them to conserve energy by exploiting air currents? Did it allow birds that made sharp finely controlled acrobatic movements to avoid being eaten by flying reptiles or else help them be better hunters?

This is all amazing and makes me realize, once more, how little I know the more I think I know!

Asher

Anil Mungal

Andrew, I used a 1DMkII with the 70-200 2.8L lens. Exposure was 1/1000 @ 5.6, ISO 400, and I was zoomed out to 200mm. I haven't really calculated my keeper percentage ... if I do, I'll let you know.