• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Just for Fun No C&C will be given: Fish Eagle

I've gone ahead and linked the image directly in:

Fish_Eagle21.jpg

This is a beautiful bird!

Please provide some details as to where it was shot (wild? captive?), how it was shot (gear, settings, etc.) and perhaps something about this beautiful species! I'm sure I've never seen one before and would love to learn more.

As for the image itself, I wonder if you can reclaim any shadow detail in those black areas, where look fairly dense here. Love the pose and there is excellent detail in the white feathers (perhaps at the expense of loss of shadow details in the darker areas).

Thanks for sharing!

Eric Diller

Awesome looking Raptor!! Being an Eagle freak i find this one especially unique, since I have never heard or seen one before.

Nice job and TFS!

antoncarstens

Thanks All. Dont know much about species (red with embarresment) but in south africa we call it a fish eagle. Ill try and look it up in my birding book and supply more official data. This pic was shot in the National Kruger Park East of south Africa between crocodile bridge and lower Sabie. We were travelling to croc bridge before it closed at 18h00 and these two guys came flying yo and behold they perched in a dead trea about 50 m from the road. We stoped and of course I filled my card up. Nikon D80 with Sigma 170-500 resting on a bean bag. Approx 16h00 should get more details on exif. Conditions were overcast so a bit of PS had to be done.

Anton

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Thanks All. Dont know much about species (red with embarresment) but in south africa we call it a fish eagle. Ill try and look it up in my birding book and supply more official data. This pic was shot in the National Kruger Park East of south Africa between crocodile bridge and lower Sabie. We were travelling to croc bridge before it closed at 18h00 and these two guys came flying yo and behold they perched in a dead trea about 50 m from the road. We stoped and of course I filled my card up. Nikon D80 with Sigma 170-500 resting on a bean bag. Approx 16h00 should get more details on exif. Conditions were overcast so a bit of PS had to be done.

Anton

How is it schlepping the Sigma 170-500? How long have you had it? Would you buy an Nikon lens instead if you had the money or you do you really like this better? I did not see any eagles in my visit to Krueger, but at that time I had just one lens, the 50mm on my Pentax Spotmatic. At 50 meters it would have been very small! Please share more of this as it's totally beyond my hopes, right now, to go back any time soon to Krueger!

Thanks for bering this fine bird to us. I wonder how it compares in size to the American Bald Eagle?

Asher