• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Kakabeka Falls

Andy Brown's waterfall image is innovative and beautiful. Today I went to Kakabeka so as to share some other waterfall pictures with you. Because wintery weather here encompasses both running and frozen forms of water, the photos contrast these dynamic and static components.

The first photo shows the upper part of Kakabeka Falls.

kakabeka_falls__1_by_rufusthered_dcum4t3-fullview.jpg

The next was with the camera pointed downward

kakabeka_falls__2_by_rufusthered_dcum51o-fullview.jpg

Then I turned 90 degrees to photo the frozen cliff on the other side of the canyon.

kakabeka_falls__3_by_rufusthered_dcum56l-fullview.jpg

Then, as the sun came out, I turned another 90 degrees to photo the river water peacefully leaving the canyon.

kakabeka_falls__4_by_rufusthered_dcum5ax-pre.jpg

I hope these photos convey some of the power, glory and peace of Kakabeka Falls on a winter's day.

Cheers, Mike

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
These pictures have inspired me!

I looked up discovered the richness of native tribes there and amazing networks of interalatedcfsmilrs of languages and then trading languages to bridge them.

I learned about the legend of the Princess who saved her people from an invasion by Sioux!

Now you must share how long this frozen fall will last and be so striking?

I am thinking of flying in to take pictures myself! But I need to be able to drive very close to the site, LOL. Developed a muscle spasm in Mexico schlepping camera gear!

Asher

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Michael,

I think that your pictures demonstrate how hard it is to choose between so many different compelling views of the falls.

Can one get the entire falls without the road?

What lenses are you using for this amazing challenge.

I end up having to stitch overlapping frames!

Asher

These pictures have inspired me!

I looked up discovered the richness of native tribes there and amazing networks of interalatedcfsmilrs of languages and then trading languages to bridge them.

I learned about the legend of the Princess who saved her people from an invasion by Sioux!

Now you must share how long this frozen fall will last and be so striking?

I am thinking of flying in to take pictures myself! But I need to be able to drive very close to the site, LOL. Developed a muscle spasm in Mexico schlepping camera gear!

Asher

The frozen Falls will certainly last till the end of February and probably into mid-March, Asher. The 2 square mile provincial park that contains the Falls is on a main road about 20 miles from Thunder Bay. Thunder Bay has the third biggest airport in Ontario with regular connecting flights to the east (Toronto) and west (Winnipeg, Calgary, Vancouver). The Falls are right beside the parking lot, about a 100 yard walk along a boardwalk. So no problems about getting there easily. We'd love to have you visit.

Michael,

I think that your pictures demonstrate how hard it is to choose between so many different compelling views of the falls.

Can one get the entire falls without the road?

What lenses are you using for this amazing challenge.

I end up having to stitch overlapping frames!

Asher

Although the cliff edges are steep and dangerous (people have fallen and died), photography is safe along the well-maintained board walk system. The preceding photos were with an 85mm lens and taken from the lowest viewing platform. As seen from the top photo, you can crop out the road. The following photos, from about three weeks ago, were with a wide-angle 14mm lens.

Taken from a position above the previous photos.

kakabeka__5_by_rufusthered_dcup7ze-fullview.jpg

Taken from the clifftop on the opposite side

kakabeka__7_by_rufusthered_dcup89h-fullview.jpg

And athough 'big' perspectives are grand, small ones are, too.

ice_tree_by_rufusthered_dcup8dl-fullview.jpg

Cheers, Mike

Andy brown

Beautiful images Michael.
I can’t even conceptualise that kind of cold that can freeze waterfalls.
I’m going for late night swims here to cool down a bit before bed.