• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

"Content Aware" fill tool in Photoshop and pretty nonsense!

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Having just come from an intensive look at "scatter art" sculpture of Manfred Pernice, I realize that with availability of such smart tools, we may develop an increased susceptibility to "dumbing down" our photographic artwork to get the job completed. In this albeit over-the-top, extreme example, I have filled in around a stitch of two overlapping images, (of a flower container in a mall), to see what would appear!

[Group 9]-IMG_3351_IMG_3352-2 images_0000.jpg

Amazing how the program rebuilds what looks at first like a pretty smart completion of the pictures. What pretty nonsense the program makes for me!

To decrease artifacts at junctions, I "Modify" the selected area by expanding 5 pixels. With that the junctional artifacts are mostly suppressed. Next, it's always a good idea to make a copy of just the element that needs to be repaired and filled in. This would allow one to create, for example more flowers, and have no other foreign elements thrown in by photoshop to make everything equally fair.

How do you use the powerful tool and do you have special tricks to optimize its behavior?

Asher