• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Sigma 150-600mm 5.6/6.3

Chris Calohan

Here are some shots I've made using this new lens. I love it for being tack sharp almost all the way across the lens. Maybe just a tiny bit soft at the edges at 600mm @ 6.3. Autofocus is quite quick and it stays locked on target using the back button focus as good as my 80-400 nikkor. Best feature is the ability to lock the lens at any focal length.

The big drawback to the lens is the weight at 6.3lbs makes it almost a gimballed heas tripod lens. it's a bugger to handhold but all the shots below are handheld. Maybe I'll have to hit the barbells again.

I'll include the exif data with each shot.

16026982046_ddfa71bcf5_b_d.jpg

Cormorant: f/6.3 @ 450mm, ISO 800, 1/250

15866706589_5692b855e3_b_d.jpg

Immature Laughing Gull: f/6.3 @600mm, ISO 800, 1/2000

15424010494_356cf686a3_b_d.jpg

Great Blue Heron: f/6/3 @ 1/250 ISO 500 600mm​

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Chris,

Your work with the Sigma lens could be used to promote it! What have you heard from other users about reliability in getting focus? Users of the 50mm ART lenses have reported really shockingly divers results. Some have returned several copies! The 35 mm ART seems to be stellar, so far as my reports are concerned.

I'd love to believe in this lens as it extends the reach possible by the 100-400 Canon option and is obviously capable of stellar work. Even more, would be a copy in the Sony FE full frame mount!

Asher