• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Film: Mathematician's Sideboard.

14908785586_c2858db1d8_b.jpg

Mathematician's Sideboard

Gelatin-silver photograph on Ultrafine Silver Eagle VC FB photographic paper, image size 16.3cm X 21.5cm, from a Kodak Tmax 400 120 format negative exposed in a Mamiya RB67 single lens reflex camera fitted with a 127mm f3.8 lens. Titled and signed recto, stamped verso.

May I dedicate this one to our Doug Kerr who reassures me that the technical does not exclude the beautiful?

Last edited:

Doug Kerr

Hi, Maris,

Gelatin-silver photograph on Ultrafine Silver Eagle VC FB photographic paper, image size 16.3cm X 21.5cm, from a Kodak Tmax 400 120 format negative exposed in a Mamiya RB67 single lens reflex camera fitted with a 127mm f3.8 lens. Titled and signed recto, stamped verso.

May I dedicate this one to our Doug Kerr who reassures me that the technical does not exclude the beautiful?
What a lovely image, full of metaphor.

I am extremely honored by its dedication to me. Thank you so much.

And of course thanks for the thorough description of the process.

Best regards,

Doug

Chris Calohan

I wish I had some samples of a former student's work, but alas, I could not keep everything.

This student would very much be like Doug (and I mean this as a compliment), in that he was binary from his toes to the apex of his skull. Numbers, codes, formulae were his playing fields and math his armor or when needed, weapon of choice.

Photography he could explain to my students better than I could. He spent one morning going through all the formulations of how you could go from f/ 1.2 to 1.4, to 1.8 all the way to f/22...but when he put his eye to the viewfinder he drew an absolute blank. "Poof," he'd say, "I know what it all means, but I can't find a relevance, thus I cannot make good images."

So, being the diligent teacher I was, I went to Home Depot, bought 10 # 1's and 10 # 2's in varying sizes, and painted every other one either black or white and suggested he incorporate these nice binary numbers into each exercise I gave them...boy howdy, while he never really accomplished free-form artistry, he did at least adhere to the assignments and show his relevance as a mathematician/computer guy.

He graduated with the highest GPA ever given at our school and graduated first in his class at Carnegie-Mellon, and yes, he got an A in photography as well. He started with Pixar in the mid 6 figures...geeze, I should have been a math guy. :)

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief

A generous dedication to a more than generous engineer!

Well, Maris, I admire your work. It has punch and great definition in contrasting elements that still share mathematical concepts. Two collections who's shapes could be described by mathematic formulae.

Asher