• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Adobe Cloud? Every one not so happy…

Bob Rogers

(When I lived in Texas, I had many ink pens, but here in New Mexico they are just called "pens".)

That might be generational -- ink pens vs. fountain pens.

To me, the reason Adobe products are so good is the user interface. I've been able to do all the same things I do in PSP for many years, it's just not as easy. But with the new subscription model I don't think I'll be updating any more. I just oppose the idea of being locked into paying for something forever.

I also will not be going to the cloud. I'm on CS5 and happy with it as it. It is now a mature product with perhaps not so much room for expanding on what you can do with it. Much of the new things added are not things I can't live without especially since I also own Lightroom. I don't need the new 3D stuff and as for the painting, I have Corel Painter which is much better at digital painting anyway.
Perhaps Google should do as they did with Nik Software and acquire Paint Shop Pro, which has many of the features of Photoshop but perhaps not as powerful. Give it an overhaul and make it more powerful and then make it Mac compatible and sell it at a good price-point. That would certainly give Adobe a kick in the butt.

Doug Kerr

Hi, Bob,

That might be generational -- ink pens vs. fountain pens.
No, it's because in Texas if you ask for a "pen" (the pronunciation of which, in the native dialect, is indistinguishable from "pin") you will be asked if you want a straight pin or a safety pin. So if you want a writing instrument, you must say "ink pen" ("ink pin").

Then, if you want an ink pen, there is always conceptually the further question, "fountain or ball point?"

Best regards,

Doug

fahim mohammed

To be fair, Adobe is not the only one experimenting ( ? )/pushing the cloud concept. Microsoft also is in the game. As are ' gaming softwares '.

Photoshop was ( is ) not really intended to be a photographer's tool. It has been adopted by photographers..but that it is a different issue.

For photographers, Adobe has Lightroom. Which is an excellent product in its own right.

In any case, the market shall determine whether the cloud concept for Adobe is successful or not.
I have a suspicion that for those towards whom such sw is targeted, will not have that much of an issue, with this concept.

Bob Rogers

Then, if you want an ink pen, there is always conceptually the further question, "fountain or ball point?"

Best regards,

Doug

That's interesting Doug. My Mom, who was originally from Oklahoma, used to use ink pen to mean ball point pen, IIRC, because they needed to be distinguished from fountain pens. I think she just calls them all pens now, maybe even if they're pencils. ;-)

The biggest problem with all of what Adobe is doing is that they will likely not notice they have lost market share for a couple of years at least with photographers. And the smart photographers are going to figure out eventually Adobe will do the same with Lightroom.

And Adobe's 3D stereo (PS CS6 extended) is marginal at best, good for adding logos and not much else at this point. It is not good for editing 3D stereo shots. Okay it is decent at creating anaglyphs, but those are not what I would call good stereo presentation images given available technology. I know this because I keep trying to use it for 3D stereo and have about given up. some other programs are much farther along for 3Dstereo editing.

The biggest problem with all of what Adobe is doing is that they will likely not notice they have lost market share for a couple of years at least with photographers. And the smart photographers are going to figure out eventually Adobe will do the same with Lightroom.

Hi Tim,

I'm afraid you are right. But then the clever ones have already figured out that the direction is destined for disaster for many:

Click on the cartoon to go to the What the Duck website.​

Cheers,
Bart