• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Pesky English

Peter Dexter

I'm always amused that Colombians like to bandy about English including curse words but often put it in odd or meaningless contexts. A store front catering to the hip young in Cali's Chipichape shopping mall put up this amusing window.

33630135125_0b1bfe0892_b.jpg

It doesn't stop there. The other day at that mall there was a window with a sign that said "Black Days". All sorts of possible meanings there but they were just trying to reference "Black Friday". The most hilarious of all was a few years ago when Cali hosted the "World Games" and a bunch of "teams" showed up from some Eastern European and Caribbean island countries to compete in some pretty silly stuff. Anyway a company in Bogotá was contracted to produce the fairly elegant and quite costly trophies for the winners. Then some English speaking competitors noticed the trophies said "Word Games". Oh well...that pesky English.

Of course it works both ways. I remember hearing that years ago Chevrolet had trouble selling their Nova model in Mexico. "No va" of course means "doesn't go".

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
I'm always amused that Colombians like to bandy about English including curse words but often put it in odd or meaningless contexts. A store front catering to the hip young in Cali's Chipichape shopping mall put up this amusing window.

33630135125_0b1bfe0892_b.jpg

It doesn't stop there. The other day at that mall there was a window with a sign that said "Black Days". All sorts of possible meanings there but they were just trying to reference "Black Friday". The most hilarious of all was a few years ago when Cali hosted the "World Games" and a bunch of "teams" showed up from some Eastern European and Caribbean island countries to compete in some pretty silly stuff. Anyway a company in Bogotá was contracted to produce the fairly elegant and quite costly trophies for the winners. Then some English speaking competitors noticed the trophies said "Word Games". Oh well...that pesky English.

Of course it works both ways. I remember hearing that years ago Chevrolet had trouble selling their Nova model in Mexico. "No va" of course means "doesn't go".

I presume "Cero" means "Zero"?

If not I am booking my airfare!

Asher