• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Epson 3880

Andrew Rodney

I am still a happy puppy with my 3800.

So was I (it was my favorite Epson and I have a few...) but the 3880 is, as you'd expect, a better unit (I was a beta tester). Not worth upgrading if you have a 3800 but an improvement in terms of speed, dither and the Vivid Magenta which produces some visible differences over the older inks with some images. So if you've had your eye on a 3800, if you can get a screaming deal, go for it, otherwise, wait a bit for the 3880.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
What's amazing to me is that the price of used machines are very low. Will Thompson has stopped collecting LF cameras, slowed in strobe hoarding and now is an avid printer bargain finder. Amazingly his last 7800 is just $350, double for a 9800. I would suggest folk look at Craig's list or the equivalent in Europe. There are a lot of enthusiasts who buy these printers and they have used them little at all.

Often they need a cleaning cycle. Sometimes they come with a new set of inks, themselves worth more than the sale price. I think it's worth looking around locally. I'd expect that in most cases the difference in print look will not be worth the price of a new machine.

Ideally, for economical use, such a used machine with 3rd part inks should be a defendable and economical solution. I'd imagine that there's enough data now for longevity estimates of 3rd party inks, but that's just a guess.

Asher

[URL="]all the 3880 specs and uk pricing are here[/URL]

the only ink change is the vivid and vivid light magenta the others are 3800 inks

edwin

Edit: Removed the link which was effectively advertising. Enough and impartial information has already been given in my previous links to the Epson site. Also your post adds nothing new either, see my previous post - Cem

Last edited by a moderator:

Ben Rubinstein

pro member
Am I right in thinking that there is zero difference for B&W? Is it worthwhile to invest in a 2nd hand superceded printer worrying that epson may discontinue the ink supply for an older unsupported machine before I've had the years of use I would expect?

Mike Bailey

pro member
If there is someone with decades of experience reading this thread, it'd be interesting to hear historically when inks from Epson are no longer produced by Epson for discontinued printers.

The 1280 and 2000 and 2200 and 7600 went out of production some years ago, but ink for those printers is still readily available.

Mike

fahim mohammed

My very limited experience with epson printers has been horrid. where i live, the nozzles clog up and the
failure rate is very high.

While being expensive here, i have yet to see then stand behind their product/s.

i currently have no printer, choosing to give the few labs here to do my printing.

regards.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
My very limited experience with epson printers has been horrid. where i live, the nozzles clog up and the
failure rate is very high.

While being expensive here, i have yet to see then stand behind their product/s.

i currently have no printer, choosing to give the few labs here to do my printing.

regards.
In real estate, it's, "Location, Location, Location!" but with printers it's, "Humidity!, Use it! and "Print patch each week" as a lot of issues come from just letting the printer stand. To save on ink, use one of the available print routines, to regularly print a small patch isng all the colors. That keeps the lines clean and the head from being dried out and clogged.

Will Thompson can get any printer going, I expect. Ask him about yours.

Asher