• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Child and piano or any other musical instrument! Go for it!

I love this unique picture by David of his son taken several years back! It was orignally posted here and that's an interesting read, in itself!

Music represents a great amusement and can expand the horizons of kids from 18 months to early teenage years! Look to see if you have picture of young kids with an instrument. Even though they cannot perhaps play much, they certainly have awe for the instruments and folk that make music! What kid doesn't like to hum a tune, sing, shake a rattle or bang drums!

So go to it!

Asher

35.jpg

Melchi's Halloween portrait. He's just short of 23 months old in this photo.

This is a crop from 8x10", made with a 10"/f:4 Voigtländer Petzval lens at f:22 from around 1860 on a Sinar P on my favorite discontinued portrait film, Ektapan rated EI 50 and developed in ABC pyro. The print is on another discontinued product, Azo, Grade 2, developed in Ansco 130. I made five exposures for this shoot. I've got two lights here, one in a plain 5" reflector with barndoors pointed upward just in front of the camera, and another with a Norman cylindrical background diffuser with two barndoors on a boom over the organ. The main light is about two stops brighter than the background light.

There's just a little retouching here--some etching with an X-acto knife on the negative to tone down the leg a bit.

Last edited by a moderator:

Graham Mitchell

This morning I did a portrait session on location with two young sisters. It turned out to be a sunny morning so I tried to use the natural light, though I needed a 0.5s exposure on the piano shot to get enough ambient light! I used a huge octagonal softbox to create the main light source in both cases.

This shot using 80mm @f2.8:
music-school_117.jpg

This shot using 40mm @f3.5:
music-school_59.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

charlie chipman

_MG_9631_800%20copy.jpg

Asher Kelman: Ray, 8 and Annette 9, Piano Duet​

I really like this picture.

It is the size of the piano's compared to the size of the player that captures me, that and Ray's little booster pedals. Such beautiful instruments.

Or any other musical instrument. This is Nadav, my nephew. He's three, doesn't play the piano, really, but he's been exploring it when he gets the chance and is very comfortable in its company.

127890066.jpg

Scott Kirkpatrick: Nadav, Age 3 at the Piano

Scott

Last edited:

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Thanks Scott for your post.

Nadav has a captivating smile. I hope he does learn to play the piano. Being handsome and so cute is not enough!

Asher

Andrew Stannard

pro member
Hi,

I fear the image below may not be quite as 'refined' as those above, but nonetheless the instrument was being played with great enthusiasm!

2010_08_AS0183_AndrewStannard.jpg

Regards,