• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Epson R1800 PROBLEM!!

George Hazelton

Help! My Epson R1800 which has given me good service for about two years developed an alarming symptom last night. After printing several 4 x 6 “proofs,” in the middle of a print the head carriage went all the way to the left and stayed there while making a horrible noise, much like gears failing to mesh. I dived for the power switch, and the head then very slowly moved to the right and stopped entirely.

I shut the printer down and a few minutes powered it back up, it went through its power on sequence normally. Another attempt to print resulted in the same problem.

Epson’s online troubleshooting doesn’t cover anything like this. I’ve sent them an email but haven’t heard back.

Has anyone had anything like this happen? Any suggestions for fixes? Am I at the tender mercies of an Epson service center? Is my printer wrecked?

If the R1800 is a basket case, any suggestions for a replacement which would also print good black and white?

Alain Briot

pro member
The last time something like this happened to me there was something blocking the head. Look where the head gets struck if there's something under it sticking out. It could be anything, but most likely it would be something on the paper path, maybe a piece of foam, or plastic, part of the pads that suck off the ink for borderless printing. If you find one sticking up just pull it off or glue it back down.

George Hazelton

Epson R1800 problem

Thanks, Alan! That makes sense, considering how suddenly the problem occured. It is wonderful to have such an on-line community to turn to for help.

George Hazelton

Epson R1800 problem revisited

Many thanks to Alain Briot on this forum and those on other fora who responded. Before I venture into the printer's innards (I was able to download a service manual) OR entrust it to the tender mercies of a repair facility, are there any out there who've had experience, good or bad, with service centers in the Atlanta, Georgia area?

I visited the Epson site hoping for a list of service providers. They provided a gadget which called for the printer model then one's zip code. The R1800 wasn't on their list, nor was the R2400 or any other familiar models. That doesn't sound good....

Again, thanks, and thanks in advance.

Bruce Lorenz

my r1800 stopped working properly after 2 + years and many, many prints, and I replaced it with the r1900, couldn't be happier.
bl

Bill Graham

Many thanks to Alain Briot on this forum and those on other fora who responded. Before I venture into the printer's innards (I was able to download a service manual) OR entrust it to the tender mercies of a repair facility, are there any out there who've had experience, good or bad, with service centers in the Atlanta, Georgia area?

I visited the Epson site hoping for a list of service providers. They provided a gadget which called for the printer model then one's zip code. The R1800 wasn't on their list, nor was the R2400 or any other familiar models. That doesn't sound good....

Again, thanks, and thanks in advance.

George,

Dawn Electronics in Kennesaw is the local authorized service facility for Epson. 770-422-9465

They did a good job on my 4800 earlier this year. They're pretty busy so expect the printer to be gone for a week or two.

I've also had good results from LaserLife in Marietta, don't have their # handy. Or call Stacia Gessner at Showcase Camera and ask her for a recommendation. She's the shop Epson guru.

Just a thought: I don't know where it is on the 1800, but there is a clear plastic/mylar strip somewhere in the printer that runs all the way across the carriage. On the 4800, it's at the top where the paper comes in. It has vertical lines printed on it and there's a sensor that reads the lines to tell where the head is. If the sensor goes or the strip gets moved, the printer doesn't know where the head is and it'll move to the left and try to keep going. Sounds like that might be your problem.

HTH,
Bill