• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Field Trip Japan

Steven Sinski

on my way over to Japan. "through the Window Darkly"

_DSC0425_DxOs-XL.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
on my way over to Japan. "through the Window Darkly"

_DSC0425_DxOs-XL.jpg

Steven,

This is so enjoyable and unique. I have taken many pictures from aircraft windows that seemed to promise such results, but never quite made it, mostly because of odd reflections on the intervening windows.

If the scene was something unspectacular, my pictures were perfect. If there was something unique or spectacular, the demons of artifacts worked to disappoint me every time, LOL!

Were you just fortunate or this was a new plane or perhaps you used a polarizing filter?

Asher

Last edited:

Steven Sinski

Nagano, JP
in the evening

Camera:Nikon NIKON D850
Lens:AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm f/4G ED VR
ISO:16000
Focal Length:24.0 mm (24.0 mm in 35mm)
Aperture:f/8
Exposure Time:0.025s (1/40)

_DSC3875_DxO-XL.jpg

Steven Sinski

Kyoto Station in the early evening hours

ISO:9000
Aperture:f/4
Exposure Time:0.008s (1/125)

_DSC2380_DxO-XL.jpg

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Shinkansen sliding out of Kyoto Station

ISO:64
Focal Length:120.0 mm (180.0 mm in 35mm) used DX crop frame mode
Aperture:f/7.1
Exposure Time:0.00625s (1/160)

_DSC2794_DxO-XL.jpg

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Imari, JP

Shrine Lamp

Focal Length:38.0 mm (38.0 mm in 35mm)
Aperture:f/5.6

_DSC2300_DxO-XL.jpg

Steven

Asher Kelman

Nagano, JP
in the evening

ISO:16000
Aperture:f/8
Exposure Time:0.025s (1/40)

_DSC3875_DxO-XL.jpg

Great picture and fabulous focal length range. Hardly need any other lens.

So deserted! Where are the thousands of travelers?

Asher

Asher Kelman

Kyoto Station in the early evening hours

Aperture:f/4

_DSC2380_DxO-XL.jpg

This is superb in composition. It shows superbly with white space all around so I have added that to all your pictures. Those diagonal layers are eye catching and so interesting. Each layer has great colors, shapes and impact.

Fabulous shot.

Asher

Steven Sinski

_DSC3836_DxO-XL.jpg

Steven,

Wonderful hugging of a tree!

Can you explain it and the tussles?

Asher

it is part of Shinto belief structure.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yorishiro

I do appreciate all your good feelings about my work. I am an "archival" photographer. I like to keep the moments I see. I am constantly observing the everyday. choosing those times that show me the things that people seem to take for granted and present it from my "perspective".

Steve

Last edited:

Asher Kelman

Fabulous that the moss on the rope and tree brings the Shinto holy symbol in line with the green motif of the train.

Asher

Steven Sinski

this is weekend wardrobe in a sense. going out for the day on weekends and many formal and informal gatherings. they do tend to maintain many of their own cultural aspects even with the constant "invasions" from just about everywhere else on the planet. Kimono is as much art as it is clothing. it is, for me, the "preferred" way to see them. but then what can I say? Japan has become a popular destination these days. it was most crowded on my last trip then I have seen in years.

no, not the "hiring" type.

Doug Kerr

Hi, Steven.

this is weekend wardrobe in a sense. going out for the day on weekends and many formal and informal gatherings. they do tend to maintain many of their own cultural aspects even with the constant "invasions" from just about everywhere else on the planet. Kimono is as much art as it is clothing.

I recall over 20 years ago being in Tokyo and riding the subway on a Saturday. There were many young women on the train in kimono. My colleague said that almost certainly they were going to visit their grandmothers, a common obligation for Saturday. They all carried a small "gym bag" that my colleague said no doubt carried the shorts and blouses they would wear to go shopping after they left grandmother's.

Best regards,

Doug

Antonio Correia

Steven, how nice are your images ! Great. Wonderful work. :)
I was very well impressed by most of them. I say most of them, because the first one - however nice it may be - is supplanted by the others following in this thread.

And here I post the one I was most impressed with. Congrats. Very exquisite.

_DSC3836_DxO-XL.jpg

Steven Sinski

Hi, Steven.

I recall over 20 years ago being in Tokyo and riding the subway on a Saturday. There were many young women on the train in kimono. My colleague said that almost certainly they were going to visit their grandmothers, a common obligation for Saturday. They all carried a small "gym bag" that my colleague said no doubt carried the shorts and blouses they would wear to go shopping after they left grandmother's.

Best regards,

Doug

i do know what you are referring to. these days though it seems to be a weekend and holiday thing and being out for a great day.