Open Photography Forums  
HOME FORUMS NEWS FAQ SEARCH

Go Back   Open Photography Forums > OPF Welcome Hall > Still Photo: Approaching Fine Photography

Still Photo: Approaching Fine Photography Photography as a visual artform open to any serious picture, where classical photography is the mode of our expression. Open to all! Not curated. For works intended for clients and galleries submit to GALLERY ONE.

Old February 1st, 2018, 08:08 AM
OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief

Default Street Monochrome Open Call: My choice, Kirstie on couch

Stret Photograph has been a favorite for street photographers. Today we use a lot of cameras with color. Some have built in film choices. These are very sophisicated.

Here I have shot in color and later used a filter for the conversion.

Asher Kelman: Kirstie on Abandoned couch!

Fugi GFX GF 32-64 mm
Photoshop CC 2018
Nik Silver Efex Pro for B&W

Looking forward to your Monochrome Street choices!

Asher

Our purpose is getting to an impressive photograph. So we encourage browsing and then feedback. Consider a link to your galleries annotated, C&C welcomed. Images posted within OPF are assumed to be for Comment & Critique, unless otherwise designated.
Old February 1st, 2018, 08:22 AM

Hi

it is street, it is alpine and it is monochrome ... :-)))

Old February 1st, 2018, 08:28 AM

Default Temp Monochrome Street!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfgang Plattner View Post
Hi

I love this surprise! Yes this is apt and novel. I think this is an important part of our great passion that we need to celebrate more!

Film or B&W?

Asher

Our purpose is getting to an impressive photograph. So we encourage browsing and then feedback. Consider a link to your galleries annotated, C&C welcomed. Images posted within OPF are assumed to be for Comment & Critique, unless otherwise designated.
Old February 1st, 2018, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asher Kelman View Post
Stret Photograph has been a favorite for street photographers. Today we use a lot of cameras with color. Some have built in film choices. These are very sophisicated.

Fugi GFX GF 32-64 mm
Photoshop CC 2018

Asher
Interesting content.
Old February 1st, 2018, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Hi

Very cool photo. I like it.
Old February 1st, 2018, 06:00 PM

Quote:

Fugi GFX GF 32-64 mm
Photoshop CC 2018

Asher
I imagine the sofa is there to be picked up in the trash? Surely it is not there to sit and watch the world go by, but that would be a great idea!
Old February 1st, 2018, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Hi

What a great photograph. Very unexpected but so very cool!

:-) Maggie
Old February 1st, 2018, 11:41 PM

Hi

thanks for your kind remarks, the picture was made using a filter by AlienSkin's Exposure.
Old February 1st, 2018, 11:48 PM

Hi

Moment of special interests ...

Special Interests by Wolfgang Plattner, on Flickr
Canon 5DIII, EF85mm,
C1, PS CS6, Nik SilverEfex

Old February 2nd, 2018, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Hi

Moment of special interests ...

Special Interests by Wolfgang Plattner, on Flickr
Canon 5DIII, EF85mm,
C1, PS CS6, Nik SilverEfex

A splendid picture and an old town look. surprising to see wooden steps in front of such a classy structure! Is that a museum, memorial, concert hall or what?

Asher

Old February 3rd, 2018, 12:26 AM

hi

this was shot during an exhibition event in front of Karlskirche, Vienna. We had a quite spectacular financial scandal (caused by politicians of a regional government) in Austria and some clever students showed for the public, what the financial dimensions of this scandal were in comparison to possibilities of public spending. More informations here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z8NM9T5-Dyg
Old February 3rd, 2018, 12:41 AM

Hi

this one is Vienna at night, showing a very special view on the Gloriette of Schönbrunn Castle

Streets Of Vienna: Reinlgasse with Gloriette by Wolfgang Plattner, on Flickr
Fuji X-T2, XF55-200mm, C1, PS, Alien Skin's Exposure using "Fuji Acros"-Preset

Old February 3rd, 2018, 01:13 AM

Quote:
Hi

this one is Vienna at night, showing a very special view on the Gloriette of Schönbrunn Castle

Streets Of Vienna: Reinlgasse with Gloriette by Wolfgang Plattner, on Flickr
Fuji X-T2, XF55-200mm, C1, PS, Alien Skin's Exposure using "Fuji Acros"-Preset

A lot af layering of elements so naturally! Superb B&W composition. So good I wouldn't be interested in seeing the original!

Asher

Old February 3rd, 2018, 02:06 AM

Quote:
A lot af layering of elements so naturally! Superb B&W composition. So good I wouldn't be interested in seeing the original!

Asher
It mainly black and white, believe me! :-)))
Old February 4th, 2018, 11:39 AM

Repost.

Best regards
Michael
Old February 7th, 2018, 11:06 AM

Repost. Somewhere in China.

Best regards
Michael
Old February 7th, 2018, 11:42 AM

Default "The Delivered Photograph": Cases where a picture does indeed speak with us!

Michael,

These two images are finely done and have an intense concentration of private humanity, each focussed on one individual.

Backstreet

Michael Nagel: A repost: Taken Somewhere in China

Numb

Michael Nagel: Repost: Taken in Germany

Michael,

Allow me to continue! Yes, there are titles, but they ar not over detailed or so specific, but istead lightly "float" below the images, and so dont set interfering boundaries for our minds.

The unique benefit of this kind of art is an open-ended generosity. Here, you, Michael, the artist, do not "box us in" with more description than needed!

There is, after all, already ample posture, presence, context, movement and intensity for us to imagine, on our own, possible motivations, purpose and significance.

The artist has to believe that without further education, we are equipped to appreciate the full richness to the nth of his/her inner mental ideas, exported, this into a two dimensional creation: "The Delivered Photograph". It requires and can stand no editing. It needs no details of how it was conceived or made or even when this came to be created. That is the beauty of the perfect "Arc of Communication" built on trust the artist has in our ability to tune in to what is essentially an exported dream.

This is a case where a "title" would likely as not constrain this freedom we have to explore, consider and allow our minds to drift to these streets and recreate a richer set of circumstances than could be explained.

When the artist leaves gaps, like this, the work speaks less of the craft in making the work, but more of the mind and esthetics behind it. So here are two exceptional examples of an idea from a persons head exported, so that we can grasp the possibilities according to what we bring to his creation.

These pictures both have voices, so they can speak for themselves and what they say, is in part written by you, Michael, the artist, and in part by responses your work evokes.

I hope this description approaches, at least in part, you own thoughts on the subject.

Thanks!

Asher

Leonard Cohen, "There's a crack, a crack in everything, that's how the light gets in!" in "Anthem"

Old February 8th, 2018, 12:04 PM

Quote:
{...} I hope this description approaches, at least in part, you own thoughts on the subject. {...}
The intention was to have one person - clearly visible but not recognizable. The composition of the picture taken in Germany had formed in my mind before I saw the opportunity. The picture in China just happened - with intended motion blur.

Now this was fooling around with contre-jour, lines and hard contrast:

Best regards
Michael
Old February 8th, 2018, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Nagel View Post
The intention was to have one person - clearly visible but not recognizable. The composition of the picture taken in Germany had formed in my mind before I saw the opportunity. The picture in China just happened - with intended motion blur.

Now this was fooling around with contre-jour, lines and hard contrast:

Best regards
Michael

Yes, Michael,

The second picture, with the fellow moving to the left, is the most agreeable and calming.

This technique is very appealing and you employ it very cleanly and with applomb!

(I also shoot mostly against the light, as you can see in the very first picture, then rescue the shadows. You will also see it in all the "Devoted Friends" images I have recently posted as well as all the pictures of flowers by the new windows I designed for exactly that photographic purpose in my kitchen!)

I see that you end up with far more dramatic finish and the center one especially is worthy to be chosen in a professional competition! If it were only by Bresson you would have a lot more money available to you!

I, unfortunately, seem to sacrifice that drama, too readily and almost "hide" the effect!

Wolfgang Plattner's "Cows in the Road" , (above in post #2), are very effective with this style! Like you, he doesn't fiddle with the shadows and so the images are so bold and get ine's attention effectively.