• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Bleak Autumn

Helene Anderson

At the start of last summer I started a project. From what I could find there had not been many photos taken of where I live for perhaps a hundred years or more. If I looked on the internet most photos were there in the form of post cards on a site that sells post cards. So, I set off with the idea to photograph the area, the town initially but it expanded to a project called 'Une Ville, Un Canton' which is ongoing.

Yesterday I went out to do some autumn photos but, alas, the rich autumn colours here are few and far between, gold, yellow, brown, orange, not a lot to be seen so I went for the 'bleak' look.

004A.jpg

011A.jpg

018A.jpg

027A.jpg

I doubt that on seeing these images anywould would say 'ooh, I want to live there' but I find a certain charm in how bleak things look. Bizarre? But then who would take a photo of a car wash to show 'autumn'? So works of art, no. A personnal view of my town, yes.

The beginnings of the autumn photos are here.

Helene Anderson

Quick conversion with the last one;

027A-Copie.jpg

Done a few more today, it was cold out! I think bleak might be an understatement!

NDH2004A.jpg

Damp, cold, horrible!

NDH2013A.jpg

Define Bleak?​

Ben Rubinstein

pro member
Do you specifically go for this very washed out, flat and low contrast kind of post processing? Seems to run through all of your work.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Do you specifically go for this very washed out, flat and low contrast kind of post processing? Seems to run through all of your work.

Hi Ben,

Divisions of "seeing" or "truth" in Photography, Michael Stones touched on previously "Factive v. Fictive" photography here. It's worth re-reading.

Re-read this thread, you will see the rest of this family of images with the same dull appearance. That's how it often is in real life unless things are painted or the light is magic.

I wanted here to spend time and attention on the leaves and enhance each and every one one of them. But notice how that's not a need for Hélène.

Certainly, for the other thread on the massacres in the villages by the Nazis, the presentation of her pictures is apt. Here, the title is "Grim" so the same feelings.

Asher

Last edited:

Helene Anderson

If that is how it is on the day then that is how I try and keep it in the image. I do have images taken in the summer, sports events, more punch, more pop in the image. It's just that at the moment here it is really like it is in the photos, as near as I can get.

This one defines it best for me - I can almost feel the cold. Then there is the lack of bright light, the diffuse mood...

Best regards,
Michael

Thank you. And it was cold that day, and damp, horrible.