• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Automate of resize images in both directions

Frank Werner

Hi,

I guess the answer is very easy but I haven't found a good solution as of now.

When I am working on my images I often crop them to different sizes. So if I have an original Picture size of 4992x3332 I crop some of them smaller, some I leave like they are. After I developed the images I try to get them to one size again like 2048x1363 for further processing for the web.
Now there is the problem of landscape and portrait images. If all images are the same size I can simply tell photoshop to change the image by percentages record it in an action and this works for landscape and portrait images. If I have images of different sizes, the percentage solution fails. Absolute pixels settings in the image resize dialog lead to different picture sizes for landscape and portrait pictures. I know I can do what I want with the Web Gallery tool (but only up to 1600 pixels) or the image processor. But how can I build me my own action to do the same?

Thanks a lot
Frank

JohanElzenga

Yes, use 'File - Automate - Fit Image' and fill in 1600 px on both sides. No, you don't need Photoshop CS2. Fit Image is not that new.

Frank Werner

Hi Jan and Johan,
thanks a lot, these are the things you are working around often for years and the solution is most times so easy. Does anybody knows which resizing mechanism Fit Image uses? Bicubic? sharper? normal? same as set in Image size?

Thanks a lot

Frank

John_Schwaller

PS improperly updates EXIF info on resize.

Well, I was hoping that this method would fix a problem with Photoshop (CS2)...no luck.

I was using 'Image Size' to resize for web (50% of full 5D size). The problem is that, apparently, PS changes the exif header info as well as the size info inside the jpeg. My website sw (Gallery 1) uses jhead to show the exif data and it will calculate the "35mm equivalent" focal length. Since the header info is changed it assumes the sensor is 1/2 (in this case) the 35mm size. Not a major deal, but wrong info is shown.

The 'FitImage' procedure is no different.

Per my discussions with the jhead author, he said, "...Exif is very complicated, with lots of redundant information....The exif header contains the sensor pixel density, as well as resolution of the whole photo, and focal length. The jpeg itself furthermore contains the image size in its own header....When the image is resized, the jpeg info is always updated (has to be - its the one that counts). However, usually the exif header is not updated. Jhead uses exif image resolution to calculate focal length. Assuming the exif data was entirely left alone, this will still come out the same. But if only part of the exif info was updted, then it will be wrong, of course...."

Just a note....this is on the original creation of a jpeg from CR2 RAW...in both cases

I posted this to the Adobe PS forum and got no response. Oh well....a bit annoying....good news is I can fix with an extra step of having BBPro do an 'EXIF Copy' from the CR2 to the new jpeg....just what I need, an extra step... :)

If anyone here has any input and/or solution, I would appreciate it.

Thanks.....JOHN

Last edited:

Jan Luursema

JohanElzenga said:
Yes, use 'File - Automate - Fit Image' and fill in 1600 px on both sides. No, you don't need Photoshop CS2. Fit Image is not that new.

Aha, I thought it was a new feature, since I never saw it before, but that might very well be a coincidence.