• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

4 GB CF cards with 1DmkII (not "N")

Paul Romersa

Are there problems with the 1DmkII re: 4 GB compact flash cards? My memory isn't what it used to be, but I seem to remember there were issues with the 4GB cards. I know Lexar's reputation with the 1 series...Has any one experienced any problems? I am going to Hawaii and thinking about buying a 4 GB card.
Thanks!
Paul

Stan Jirman

Never had any issues with 1D2 using 4GB and 8GB CF cards. However, for all intents and purposes, SD cards greater than 2GB don't work (it can be done, but it's tough and iffy).

John Carolan

Ridata 4GB and 1D2 ok, cardreader was the problem

I'm using Ridata cards and no problems with the 4gb 80x one in my 1D2. But I did need to buy a new USB 2 cardreader as the old one couldn't see the 4gb card.

Will Thompson

Paul Romersa said:
Are there problems with the 1DmkII re: 4 GB compact flash cards? Thanks!
Paul

Hi Paul!

Yes there were problems with the Lexar Professional Series 80x cards (4GB and others) and earlier firmware. Both the 1DMKII and 1DsMKII as well as the cards had a problem.

I have 6 of the 4GB Lexar Professional Series 80x (that I have NOT exchanged) and have not had a problem with the newer firmware But did with the older version.

Here are links to the Canon USA website information:

1DMKII Link 1DsMKII Link

Hope this helps, Will T.

I am about to go this route, 8GB CF + 4GB SD, using Transcend cards. I hope they arrive later this week - enough time to runs some burn in tests before I head of to the first festival of the (my) year. Transcend list the 8GB card as "compatible" while a number of people on DPReview say the 4GB SD works as long as you preformat in a PC.

I belive Chuck Westfall (you on here, aren't you Chuck?) said in an old RG post that once the SDHC stansard is ratified it is hoped that a firmware update for all the 1D SD-capable cameras will provide a format facility in camera. I am hoping that the 3 pairs of cards I will carry will not need me to delete images off the SD cards - as opposed to format - whilst in the field (literally).

Michael Tapes

OPF Administrator/Moderator
I have never had a problem with Sandisk Ultra and Extreme series cards (2and 4 GB) in Canon 1DMkII, 1DMkIIN, 1DsMkII, 5D.

Hi, Peter et al:

Just to confirm, all current EOS digitals can be used with high-capacity CF cards (above 2GB). As of January 2006, the SD Card Organization had not yet ratified a standard for SD cards with capacities higher than 2GB. They issued a press release confirming that fact, and announcing that they were working on anew standard to be called SDHC, for "SD High Capacity." The good news is that the SDHC standard has finally been ratified, and we are expecting firmware updates for all Mark II EOS digital SLRs over the next few months. The potentially bad news is that at least some of the currently available 4GB SD cards may not meet SDHC standards. If you have any questions on this, I would suggest that you contact the card manufacturer or distributor. In the meantime, the Mark II cameras currently cannot format high-capacity SD cards in camera, although many users report successful results formatting such cards with their computers.

Best Regards,

Chuck Westfall
Director/Media & Customer Relationship
Camera Marketing Group/Canon U.S.A., Inc.

Dennis Lathem

Thanks for the info Chuck. I have avoided 4GB SD cards for this very reason. I don't want to have to rely on a PC to format a memory card. I believe doing so sets you up for disaster.

I will be looking forward to the firmware updates. I have both a 1DmkII and a 1DMkIIn. Am I correct in assuming those firmwares would be released at the same time.

And while I am asking....would it be possible to add another function to the expanded flexibility of CF and SD on the N model. A mode that once you fill up one memory card it will automatically switch to the other?

Thanks

Will Thompson

Will the new firmware support the new Ec-S Focusing Screen?

Hi Chuck!

Will the new firmware support the new Ec-S Focusing Screen?

Thanks, Will T.

Hi, Dennis & Will:

Sorry, I cannot preview the details of future firmware updates beyond SDHC compatibility.

Best Regards,

Chuck Westfall
Director/Media & Customer Relationship
Camera Marketing Group/Canon U.S.A., Inc.

Dennis Lathem

I understand...just planting the idea.

Thanks for your participation in this forum.

61394953.Avatar01.jpg