• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Portrait of José Eduardo

Antonio Correia

José Eduardo Agualusa

He posed for me and my project "Muito cá de casa". :)

i-W5wvkDm-XL.jpg

Antonio Correia

Thank you Fahim !

That is good question :) :)

I cropped the photograph the way I thought it would be better. I don't want my portraits to have "centered" people. I tend to balance the subject the way I feel.

This is a very personal reason indeed ... :)

However, I do have some portraits where people are "centered" ... I tend to be guided by my own instinct, feelings and mood !

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
José Eduardo Agualusa

He posed for me and my project "Muito cá de casa". :)

i-W5wvkDm-XL.jpg

Antonio,

Another invitingly impressive Correia-style image!

The mood and friendliness of José lights and energizes the space around him. For this, one could even have more black space on the left, he can balance it all. But I'd then add his complete left shoulder and arm. Play with this idea and be excessively bold when your subject is this strong.

Explain "Muito cá de casa". What's the background and scope of this project?

:)

Asher

Antonio Correia

Thank you Asher for your kind comments (as usual). :)
"Muito cá de casa" is a project a friend and myself we have been developing for perhaps more than a year ago.
The Casa da Cultura (House of Culture) is an old building which have been renovated recently and where artist associations and artists from Setubal gather. There is a little cafeteria (of course) and two rooms for exposures, one on the ground floor and another on the first one.
My friend invited me to make an expo of my portraits about a year ago and since then we have been cooperating.
He invites writers, poets and other important people from the cultural area to talk and expose while I take portraits of them all with some kind of book or publication at the horizon. An exposition also is possible.
The invitations happens not every week but rather each 15 days or so...
So, my "mission" is to take portraits of them all after the lecture.
José Eduardo Agualusa is among them. You can make a visit at the gallery here if you wish.

I am always a bit stressed when it comes to make the photographs. Always in a hurry. It is always past mid-night and everybody wants to go out for a drink or whatever. I must have everything ready and (now) I usually photograph in a sound studio with black walls and ceiling, but rather short in length...

Thank you for your interest Asher ! :)

Wonderful portrait, Antonio! You have captured this handsome man in a way that makes us want to meet him. His genuine smile exudes such kindness and warmth.

As for the amount of space on the left, I think it is very well balanced with the amount of space above his head. If there was one thing that I would do (not necessarily what you would) would be to add a bit of vignette along the right side so that his cut off shoulder would fade into darkness.

:)
Maggie

Antonio Correia

Thank you Maggie, James and Jamie for your comments :)

You know... now that I look at the images again... I do not like them so much as I used to. :)

In fact, I have been trying to learn to select in CS and I think I can be able to do a better image than this one.

Don't you think he is a bit too dark ?!

Águalusa has been photographed in a room which is too tight not allowing a convenient positioning of the flashes.
Now, I use a larger room with a consistent black background.

Isn't this (bellow) a far better work ? (posted somewhere in this forum)

i-s3ft3zB-X2.jpg