• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Presidental Race

Gary Ayala

As a side note ... collectively, we Americans can be proud that we have overcome history and prejudice and bigotry and racism to nominated a black candidate, from a major party, to run for president of the United States.

Regardless of who you may think is the better candidate, take a step back to review what occurred on Thurday evening. We, as a people, have taken one step closer to accepting, adopting and attaining the lofty principle of equality, as penned in our Constitution.

I am damn proud of my country. I am damn proud that the United States is moving forward to better our society. I am damn proud that we are able to discuss our failings and short comings in public forums and through legislation and the ballot box strive to correct our failings.

Regardless of your personal choice for president ... Thursday was a historic night for the United States of America.

Gary

Doug Kerr

The campaign this year has resulted in a wonderful surge in citizen interest and participation in the democratic process..

Here we see some residents of Parker County, Texas (just west of Fort Worth). members of two local Democratic clubs, gathered at a local Mexican restaurant to watch Barack Obama's acceptance speech as Democratic Party candidate for president of the United States.

Obama_F02655R.jpg

As you can see, some Democrats are more excited about it than others.

That's Carla, just below and to the right of the Exit sign (standing on a chair).

Mike Shimwell

It does seem truly historic - and a lady a republican vice presidential runner too.

One thing that has really impressed me and my wife is the apparent interest in politics that you have over there - which may be an illusion? - over here in the UK I find it hard to imagine 20000 people (i.e, 80k *60/250) attending a rally in the way we saw at Obama's acceptance event. We have become somewhat jaded and with an apparent apathetic response to the political process. It's as if our politicians have convinced us that there is nothing we can do about how they behave.

I am all ears to hear more about the reality of the democratic process in the USA - we have much cynicism about that also, yet I find it a fascinating country.

Mike

Mike

Doug Kerr

Hi, Mike,

It does seem truly historic - and a lady a republican vice presidential runner too.

One thing that has really impressed me and my wife is the apparent interest in politics that you have over there - which may be an illusion? - over here in the UK I find it hard to imagine 20000 people (i.e, 80k *60/250) attending a rally in the way we saw at Obama's acceptance event. We have become somewhat jaded and with an apparent apathetic response to the political process. It's as if our politicians have convinced us that there is nothing we can do about how they behave.

Well, actually, the participation of the general public has been far greater this time around than typical of the past. For example, during the presidential primary process here in Texas, many of the polling places were caught completely unprepared for the number of people who turned out to vote.

Still, the fraction of eligible voters who in fact vote is far less than in many other countries.

I am all ears to hear more about the reality of the democratic process in the USA - we have much cynicism about that also, yet I find it a fascinating country.

Well, there is much cynicism here as well, much of it deserved. But that notwithstanding, this is a wonderful country, and our democratic process - perverted as it is in many cases - is a wonderful thing. And of course the more people who get caught up in the wonder of it, the more wonderful it becomes!

I am hopeful that the playout of the presidential elections this year will clearly illuminate that the American people overall are much more thoughtful than politicians, of whichever side of the aisle, give them credit for. (And I don't mean that any particular outcome is required to prove that!)

I am always glad to see when the candidate on either side makes a decision that shows he/she is really interested in attracting the bulk of the electorate - not just "interviewing for the job" as though party ideologues could award it!

So long as a Democratic candidate feels that the road to victory requires being as demonstrably liberal as imaginable, and a Republican candidate feels that the road to victory requires being as demonstrably conservative as imaginable, the people will not get the result they deserve.

We've seen the candidates this time veer away from that discredited - and unsuccessful - outlook, but in some cases it has been sporadic.

Best regards,

Doug

Gary Ayala

Change is what we need here at home as well as abroad. Obama is the face of the hope that many of us seek which may equate to change in Washington of how we govern.

Like Doug, Thursday night I attended an Obama acceptance speech party. There were approximately 120 such parties in Southern California, some in public places, most in private homes. This party was in Yorba Linda, Orange County, a Republican stronghold.

Some 50 people attended, old and young, students, professionals, teachers, businessmen, government workers, men and women, Democrats and Republicans ... all traveled to this restaurant (a block away from Nixon's birthplace) to watch a historic event which could have been easily viewed from the comfort of their homes.

We all had different personal reasons for attending, but the group was united by its desire for change and we all wanted to watch this freight train called Obama accept the Democratic Party nomination. In the heartland of the Republican Party in California, we came together and celebrated the opportunity to change America ... not change for the sake of change ... but to vote for a change that will make America a better place for the many not the few.

Gary

361660773_Xkb8X-L-1.jpg

Still, the fraction of eligible voters who in fact vote is far less than in many other countries.

That's a concern in many countries. The scary result in (essentially) a balanced 2 party system though is, that if 60% of the eligible voters actually votes then potentially 30% of the eligible voters will determine the outcome for the total population... How democratic is that? Let's hope there will be a huge participation.

Bart

Kathy Rappaport

pro member
Since JFK and Johnson Era

In my lifetime I have yet to see such enthusiam in a presidential politics since JFK's assination and the Johnson/Humphrey ticket. My mother had Eugene McCarthy stickers all over her Dodge Pioneer. She knew little of the candidate but loved those flowers. Says a lot for what we do as a nation. So many pick up on the sway of others hype without knowing the real viewpoints of candidates. All Buzz as they say.

Seems we vote one party in, get mad at them for their leadership and go the other way every few years.