• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

On the Start of the Holy month of Ramadan

fahim mohammed

my family, friends, and I would like to wish you and your loved ones happiness, peace and good health
wherever you are.

Tomorrow is the first day of Ramadan in Saudi Arabia. It is the start of the month of fasting for muslims from sunrise to sunset. This act ( of fasting ) is one of the five pillars of Islam. fasting is compulsory for all able bodied and healthy men and women during this month.

For muslims, Ramadan is the holiest month in the Islamic calendar.

The month of Ramadan in Saudi Arabia brings about a change in the opening hours of
businesses and shops. As I write this ( 0100 hrs ) the streets are packed with shoppers, traffic jams
everywhere! This will continue till just before the call to morning prayers.

The month of Ramadan is a month of prayer and devotion to Allah for muslims across the world.

May Allah's Peace, Blessings and Guidance be with you all.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Hi Fahim,

We are proud that you are comfortable to share your own private celebration with us. We do need peace and understanding. I personally treasure our cultural differences. So I'm happy to recipricate our own greetings to you and your family. May all these good thoughts come to being.

Asher

janet Smith

pro member
my family, friends, and I would like to wish you and your loved ones happiness, peace and good health
wherever you are.

Thank you for your good wishes Fahim, please accept our best wishes to you and yours too. This is an important aspect of OPF to me, that through our common interest of photography we are able to share so much more, and the miles that divide us begin to shrink.....

fahim mohammed

Hi Rhys,

Muslims are required to fast from before sunrise to sunset. This is a tenet of the religion and this
is how it is to be practised by muslims as stipulated in the Koran and as performed by Prophet Mohammed
(PBUH).

Fasting, according to the Koran, is not something unique to the muslims. The other religions, to whom the Books were revealed, were also commanded to do so. The Four Holy Books, as revealed, and as
believed by Muslims include the Zaboor, the Torot, the Bible, and the Koran.

Work continues during the day as normal...some timings are changed. The exception, if that, is that
places selling food and drink ( for on premises consumption or to go..e.g Mc,StarB etc.) are closed
during the time of the fast. This does not include supermarkets where one can purchase items
for later consumption/cooking etc.

I am not an Islamic Scholar, but the main purpose of fasting for Muslims is:
1. Commanded by Allah, as He had commanded others before the Muslims.
2. Purpose is to purify your body and soul. Fasting is not just an act of abstaining from food and drink..it is much more. In Islam the greatest enemy of man is his Self. One has to overcome the materialist and body-based desires. It is a muslim's faith against worldly desires.

Prophet Mohammed(PBUH) said that the most strenuous/holy/loved by Allah fasting was that
practised by Prophet David ( PBUH ). He would fast every alternate day..throughout the year!

Hope I shed some light on the subject with my limited knowledge. Got to go, morning prayers
are in about half an hour. Office at 1000 hrs. Life goes on as normal.

May Allah Bless and protect you all.

What is the significance of the dawn to dusk fasting? How does this affect work during the day?

Gary Ayala

Thank You Fahim Mohammed for your blessings during one of the pillars of Islam, when the gates of paradise are opened, and the gates of hell are closed.

May Allah forgive the dryness of our tongues and the obduracy of our hearts for the sake of His Beloved Prophet (SAW) who said: "I was sent only as Mercy. I was not sent as a punishment.

Godspeed Fahim Mohammad,
Gary