• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Have you had to rebuild a raid array because of a disk failure?

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
I'm wondering how long it takes with different systems to rebuid your raid array after a single drive failure. So in my case I have 3 x250GB and one 300 GB and the latter failed. It took 60 hrs for the DROBO to rebuild itself with the drives only 60% full (of the rated capacity of the RAID array.

Could you give the type of RAID array, the size of the drives and the percent of rated capacity full at the time of failure.

Asher

Last edited:

Ken Jackson

Asher, I was always taught that all the drives should be of the same brand and model along with all being the same size... Usually when I had a stripe fail, it only took a few hours to rebuild. I haven't run any raid for several years now, and don't remember how full they were when they failed. but 60 hours seems to me to be an eternity...... I always ran Raid 5 but that was back in days when 500 megs seemed like big.... and it only took a 3 to 4 hours to rebuild.. What raid card are you using and what is the speed of the server and mobo you have, also how much memory are you running?

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Asher, I was always taught that all the drives should be of the same brand and model along with all being the same size... Usually when I had a stripe fail, it only took a few hours to rebuild. I haven't run any raid for several years now, and don't remember how full they were when they failed. but 60 hours seems to me to be an eternity...... I always ran Raid 5 but that was back in days when 500 megs seemed like big.... and it only took a 3 to 4 hours to rebuild.. What raid card are you using and what is the speed of the server and mobo you have, also how much memory are you running?

Hi Ken,

The Drobo is a self sufficient drive set up made beautuflly. One can add any modern 3 1/2 inch drive and it formats it and distributes the data over all the drives one puts in the slots. The version I bought has 4 slots and I populated them with 250 to 300 GB drives. So when one drive fails, the data has to be retrieved and redistributed to the replacement drive. Now there are Drobos with a capacity of up to 8 drives and fully loaded, two can fail at the same time and one will still get recovery!

These can act as servers and can be connected to the internet or used as the core backup for a set of computers. I use mine to back up active drives only.

Asher