• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Check this guy out.

Jerome Love

Rian Flynn. He's been playing around with this technique for about a year now and I'm still not sure how he does it. Some of it I find interesting, others astounding and some meh. To me it looks like a mix of hdr and heavy PS post processing. Any ideas.

Here's his link.

Jerome Love

I'll look into that.

I did some research, and I was thinking something like Lucis Art.

This plugin has produced some discussion amongst photographers. What do you guys think of it? Is it photography?

Tim Armes

I agree, it looks like Lucis Art

JThis plugin has produced some discussion amongst photographers. What do you guys think of it? Is it photography?[/quote said:
Ah, well that's another topic altogether.

I personally don't like it, it's seen everywhere nowadays. That's the problem with a plugin, the "look" is never original.

However, each to their own taste.

Tim

Jerome Love

Tim:
Absolute truth. I never really liked the idea of a plugin as your definitive look as a photographer. It simple terms, it's cheap.
That aside, it seems to be a developing trend especially among young (aka "crop photogs" wtf?) music (yes I'm getting specific) photographers. I guess what I'm saying is that their is a new market for it. What do we do about it?

Ken Tanaka

pro member
This style may be enhanced by a Photoshop plug-in but its origins are deeply in commercial ad photography for youth product/lifestyle campaigns (ex: music, drinks, clothing, etc.) This style of lighting, and compositing, began appearing 3-4 years ago, partly as an amped-up outgrowth of Jill Greenberg's lighting styles. It's now become rather passé --as such extremes so quickly do-- but youngsters mimic it because it's kewl.

Awesome, dude! ;)

Ken Tanaka

pro member
I'm pink-cheeked to admit that not only do I know that (pirated) footage from the original Star Trek series (first aired 20+ years before Ryan arrived on the planet) but I think I remember the species of Capt. Kirk's antagonist; a "Gorn"?

"OH MY GOD! I LOVEEE PHOTOGRAPHY!" It's hard not to smile when you see such enthusiasm for photography, short-lived though it may be. It makes my back ache.

Leonardo Boher

pro member
Well... It's what's cool in these days... Wanna sell? Well, that's the way in tehse days, doing that kind of retouch. But don't forget the light set up. All the stuff looks very well illuminated with flashes. That's the trick at the very first step. After that, you have Colorefex 3.0 by Nik Software and also Photomatix to play around. Don't understimate L*a*b* color space as well :)
I don't have an step by step about this, but I've ahcieved similar results by using big amounts with the S/H adjustment fillter in PS :)

Hope this help :)

Leo :)

Rian Flynn

Hey everyone! My sister was searching the internet for crap about me and found this forum! :) thanks for the kind words about my work! I just noticed that a lot of people are thinking that i use plugins or HDR or something. I just use lighting and photoshop. sometimes my lights will be in the frame so i will light the subject and the background separately to give it a striking look. here is a before after photoshop example!

What do you think?
Rian

right out of camera:

1.jpg

After lighting the background and compositing the two shots together:

2.jpg

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Ryan,

Am delighted you have such a smart sister! We are the luckier for that!

Welcome again to OPF. This is exciting to have the ability to see something of process to delivering your vision and hence making the photograph you want. Did you use CS4 projection tool to copy back to the distance the floor tiles or did you just open it up in photoshop? Interesting that you have made or brought out glare/reflections behind him but repaired the large blowout in the front.

Excellent job of making the left and right front simple and clean. Rather a nice idea to go from blurred packed ordered complexity behind him to bare essentials in the foreground, putting him on show without distraction.

Asher

Dylan White

well this guy is alright....nithing to fall over. His photos look fake. Yes I agree when you guys say those preset filters are cheap. Then only presets I use are the ones I make myself in Light Room. :)