• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

How do you store you CF/SD cards? Why are SD cards better in dirt?

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
It never occurred to me that SD cards might be advantageous over CF cards. I've always looked down on the small size of SD cards because once dropped they're so hard to find, especially in the grass!

Well I just had a loaned 8GB CF card returned to me and, unbeknown to me, several of the tiny contact holes were plugged with dirt! So, as you might expect, the top LCD gave an error notice and of course the pins inside the camera are bent flat! If I could straighten them, likely they will break during an important shoot! So it's back to Canon Irvine CPS for repair!

So how do you store you CF cards? Do you use the plastic cases the cards come with or admit it, you just carry them in your pocket, LOL!

This is an advantage for the SD card, they use solid contact surfaces so might be safer!

Asher

John Angulat

pro member
I'm absolutely stunned anyone would return a borrowed item in that condition!
icon8.gif

I equally sad for the damage to your camera.
Hopefully the borrower will be kind enough to reimburse you for the repair.

My Nikon is CF, so I don't have a lot of experience with SD's.
You're right, SD's are small and a bit awkward to handle.
I always keep my cards in the plastic holder. No issues to date.

Ken Tanaka

pro member
I keep mine in their original plastic cases. They're nicely protected and easy to stow and carry. For extended situations I have used Pelican memory card cases which are waterproof, dustproof, and float. But the cards have to be placed directly in this case, which means opening the whole treasure trove each time.

I, too, generally prefer the easier handling of the CF cards. But be advised: the days of the CF card are numbered. The compact flash technology is reaching its limits. The future lies in SD cards. Go figure.

So how do you store you CF cards? Do you use the plastic cases the cards come with or admit it, you just carry them in your pocket, LOL

Hi Asher,

Always in their original plastic cases. I do have a multiple CF/SD card container, but I haven't used it yet. I never store a CF card without outer protection/casing, exactly for the reason you found out (unfortunately the hard way).

Cheers,
Bart

In the plastic cases, in the CF card pockets of my Slingshot case.

Never in my pockets, that's a guaranteed method for loss with me ;-)

I used to put my lens cap in my pocket, until I lost one....

Asher Kelman

Thanks to Charles, Winston, Bart, Ken, John and Nill for the good ideas. What's amazing is that the SD card interface is so simple and we never thought it was at all distinguished! Actually, it's a far more robsut design in the electrical connections.

The CF cards with it's larger size and serious number of pin connections seemed more sophisticated. Now I realized, instead, how simplicity is a virtue.

I wonder what folk find works best in dusty areas like Iraq or Afghanistan, CF or SD !

Asher

Doug Kerr

Hi, Asher,

So how do you store you CF cards? Do you use the plastic cases the cards come with or admit it, you just carry them in your pocket, LOL!
Most importantly, what I do is I don't loan 'em out.

Other than that, when they are not in the camera, I keep 'em in the little plastic cases.

Best regards,

Doug

Asher Kelman

Hi, Asher,

Most importantly, what I do is I don't loan 'em out.

Other than that, when they are not in the camera, I keep 'em in the little plastic cases.

Best regards,

Doug
Shakespeare said, Neither a borrow nor a lender be, for a loan loses itself and a friend! So, yes it makes sense.

If all those dozens of tiny pores are important, that makes for a a bad idea. It surprises me that there's no redundancy. Why should all the pins be needed? Is it to take the current?

Asher

Nill Toulme

Holes or no holes, I'm a lot more likely to get dirt on or in the SD card because it seems like I drop the little buggers every other time I touch one. They're just too small.

My cards either go directly from my camera to my reader and back again, or else take a short rest in the cardsafe. They're only really at risk in the short intervals when they're not in one of those three havens — and I use large enough cards that I can minimize needing to change them in the field.

Nill

Doug Kerr

HI, Asher,

If all those dozens of tiny pores are important, that makes for a a bad idea. It surprises me that there's no redundancy. Why should all the pins be needed? Is it to take the current?
No, its because the interface of the CF card is basically a subset of the PCMCIA (now called "PC card") interface, which in turn is essentially identical to the interface used for parallel ATA IDE hard drives (all-in-all, a very old interface).

Best regards,

Doug

Paul Abbott

I use SD Cards and store them in the plastic boxes they come in. I guess SD Cards are not called SD (Secure Digital), for nothing eh? :D