• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Pentax K10D and older Pentax or Sigma lenses without an A setting

Jim Dulc

Searching for help with older Sigma Pentax K mount lenses without the “A” setting and the Pentax K10D body!!!

In 1981 we purchased the following camera equipment Pentax ME Super SLR body, SMC Pentax-M 1:1.4 50mm lens, Sigma 1:2.8-4 35-70mm standard zoom lens (Pentax-K mount), and a Sigma 1:3.5-4.5 70-250mm Zoom –infinity II lens (Pentax-K mount). These lenses DO NOT have an “A” setting.

This Christmas we purchased a Pentax K10D DSLR body, Sigma Zoom 55-200mm 1:4-5.6 DC lens, and a Sigma Zoom 18-50mm 1:3.5-5.6 DC lens.

As expected the new Sigma lenses work perform as expected. The problem we are experiencing is getting the older Pentax K mount lenses to operate with the K10D camera body. We were told the older lenses are compatible with the K10D body. We are unable to get the Pentax K10D to recognize the f-stop and trigger or activate the shutter release on the older Pentax or Sigma lenses. The camera is set to “M” Manual mode. There is NO "A" setting on the lens.

Are there any additional settings that need to be set?

Is an adapter required for the older Pentax or Sigma lenses to be compatible with the Pentax K10D body?

Is it possible to use the older Pentax or Sigma lenses “as is” on the Pentax K10D body to set the F-stop and trigger or activate the shutter release?

I located a possible solution on http://photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg which I cannot get to work. The instructions are as follows:

When you use a K-bayonet mount lens with an A-position on the aperture ring, set the lens to “A” and use the camera normally. All metering modes work the aperture is controlled from the body.

When you use a K-bayonet mount lens without an A-position on the aperture ring
-Set exposure mode to Manual
-Set desired aperture on lens
-Focus and frame subject
-Touch shutter release half way to activate meter
-Press green button to meter and set shutter speed
-Release shutter

What am I doing incorrect?

Jim