• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Make this 1926 snapshot better?

Mary Bull

The thread on flatbed scanners, in the Entry Digital Photography forum, set me to thinking of the old black-and-white family snapshots I have scanned into my hard drive, beginning early in 2003.

I put that idea together with the skills I've learned so far to use in LightZone, and decided to see what I could do with the Channel Mixer and the Noise Reduction tools there to improve a 1926 snapshot of my mother.

Here's the original:

268098883_e8e47aa88e.jpg

And here is my effort to improve it:

268094068_4718364289.jpg

The steps I took in LightZone were as follows:

1) Checked the white balance. It looked about as good as possible to me in the original, and I thought it did not need adjusting.

2) Reduced the noise. This brought out some of the ground detail and some of the detail in my mother's face.

3) Used the Channel Mixer tool to darken the photo slightly.

4) Reduced the noise a bit more.

5) Cropped the photo to take away some of the high, white sky. Cropped the farm implement on the far right to have more pleasing dimensions, to my eye, for the image.

6) After the crop, I realized that you could still not make out--at least not very well--the windmill, on the far left.

7) Selected the Channel Mixer tool; selected the Regions spline tool, which will draw a region defined by straight lines.

8) Drew a rectangular region around the windmill. Darkened this region slightly with the Channel Mixer.

9) Since I'm not very good with feathering yet, I simply made sure not to darken the windmill area more than just barely enough to make it recognizable as a windmill.

10) Then I saved and exported the image.

If someone interested in black-and-white photography could make even more difference in this photo--perhaps using a different image editor from the one I use--I would be very interested to see what more can be done with it.

Mary

Last edited:

Ray West

Hi Mary,

The first thing I would do, (I don't know if it works in lightzone, but does in ps,) is to clone out the black spots in the sky, and tidy up the area round the fork tines - or is it straw? I would then zoom in to the face, and see what out of place marks were there.

It is difficult putting back what isn't there, the original is pretty much black and white - almost like an engraving. Maybe play around with the quick image effects in Picasso (on a copy) and then maybe do something in litezone to emulate that. Last night, I was messing around with a photo of a country house here in the uk, seeing what picasso could quickly do. By continuously sharpening it, it gave quite a nice sketch book effect.

Without tha actual image, its a bit of a job to say what may work well.

Best wishes,

Ray

Don Lashier

Mary, can you provide a better scan? In particular it looks like a sharpening setting and/or perhaps contrast in the scanner software as really artifacted things. It's usually better to try and fix things in PS rather than during the scanning process.

- DL

Mary Bull

Thanks, Ray.

I do have some negatives of some of these old 1920s-1930s b&w photos, but not one for this snapshot.

I don't know how to clone yet, in LightZone. But since I am attached to the idea of my mother with a pitchfork on the farm that my father and his sister's husband were trying to make go--the untimely droughts alternating with untimely rains eventually made them give up--I'm motivated to learn to do cloning.

She was actually a town girl--grew up in Austin, Texas--and a schoolteacher. But a good wife, too. And a good mother to all of us children.

I'll try your idea of working with this in Picasa.

Mary

Mary Bull

Don Lashier said:
Mary, can you provide a better scan? In particular it looks like a sharpening setting and/or perhaps contrast in the scanner software as really artifacted things. It's usually better to try and fix things in PS rather than during the scanning process.
I didn't know enough at the time to set the scanner to do anything. I scanned the image using whatever are the default settings of the Scanjet.

I have to confess that I don't know much more about the scanner than I did about my G2 when I arrived here. It was sort of, with the scanner, point-and-shoot.

I'll get out the manual and study the settings and see if I can't make a better scan tomorrow.

I wish I had a negative for this image, but I don't.

Maybe while I'm at learning to scan better I'll scan some of those early 1930s negatives into the hard drive.

Thank you so very much for the suggestion.

Mary

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Lets get this picture scanned properly.

Maybe take it to a professional studio fro a drum scan. This is a very difficult but worthwhile image to recover. A very good scanner will be able to get back a surprising amount of information, perhaps achievable by scanning with a modern flatbed or else through a commercial lab. (Not an ordinary photostore!)

What access do you have to a modern scanner. Maybe you could get your expensive photostore to demo various scanners and that way you'll get your can done!

asher

Don Lashier

Even a 10 year old scanner should be able to do ok. I think the problem is not the scanner (unless some sensors are burned out) but the sw. Even very cheap (under $100) scanners do an excellent job these days.

- DL

Dierk Haasis

pro member
And if the scanner does not, the G2 could do it [macro setting, tripod, as close as possible to get the frame filled]. Uniform focus and lighting as a scanner provides in contrast to a camera lens is of no importance with this photo. With the G2 on a tripod always use the remote control to press the shutter. Don't use the built-in flash, instead set everything up close to a big window or even outside; for best results use an overcast day.

Don Lashier

Dierk Haasis said:
And if the scanner does not, the G2 could do it [macro setting, tripod, as close as possible to get the frame filled].

Speaking of duping photos with a camera, check out this photo taken in a Havana alley: Photo shot on neg film with Oly P&S, drugstore print, print shot laying on a hotel room bed using Kodachrome with Nikonos, slide scanned with Coolscan. Talk about workflow ;) I don't know if it would ever have come out this good without being third generation. Prints very nice at 12 x 18.

nd26013p.jpg

- DL

Last edited:

Mary Bull

A professional to scan it?

Asher Kelman said:
Lets get this picture scanned properly.

Maybe take it to a professional studio fro a drum scan. This is a very difficult but worthwhile image to recover. A very good scanner will be able to get back a surprising amount of information, perhaps achievable by scanning with a modern flatbed or else through a commercial lab. (Not an ordinary photostore!
Noted. Thanks, Asher.
What access do you have to a modern scanner. Maybe you could get your expensive photostore to demo various scanners and that way you'll get your can done!
I'll have to look around. There's CompUSA (two stores), Circuit City, Best Buy, for the big ones. The Epson dealer may be able to recommend something or even have something in stock.

But that will have to wait until sometime next week. The R800 Epson printer is here, dropped off overnight by truck, the day after Dury's (the Epson dealer) sent the order in. Awaits now only the circumstance of my nephew's having time to help me with it on the upcoming weekend.

Mary

Mary Bull

Don Lashier said:
Mary, maybe it just needs to be higher res - may be artifacting due to poor downsampling by the scanner software.
I'll hunt out the manual and find out how to set the res. It was midway of the line when I bought it from HP. Cost me a cool $700 U.S. So it should have a few bells and whistles on it, even for a 2002 model.

Mary

Asher Kelman

Mary Bull said:
I'll hunt out the manual and find out how to set the res. It was midway of the line when I bought it from HP. Cost me a cool $700 U.S. So it should have a few bells and whistles on it, even for a 2002 model.

Mary
There are options for setting for the highlights.

Do so, as that is where you need detail.

Then another scan for the dark areas.

A camera store or a mega sote will always scan one image for you. Just bring a CD or one of those USB plug in memory things!

Asher

Mary Bull

Asher Kelman said:
There are options for setting for the highlights.

Do so, as that is where you need detail.
Good. That's what I need--specific steps.
Then another scan for the dark areas.
Step 2. Got it.
A camera store or a mega sote will always scan one image for you. Just bring a CD or one of those USB plug in memory things!
Dury's might do two, since I've just bought the Epson R800 printer from them.

I have to go down there tomorrow, anyway, if my nephew has time to get the printer up and running for me. Need to get some paper to get started with. They gave me a small discount on the printer, so I think they will sell me the paper at a reasonable cost. I'll only get a ream or two--until I know what I like.

While I'm there I'll look at their scanners. I don't see why they should have to burn to a CD. Why can't they just e-mail the file to me as an attachment?

Or do you think it would be over 10 MB?

Mary

Dierk Haasis

pro member
Mary Bull said:
Or do you think it would be over 10 MB?

Likely, depending on file format and quality settings.

Before you haste to let them do one photo ask them if they offer Kodak PhotoCD [PHOTO!], which gives high quality for up to 100 scans. If they do, look through your shoeboxes for as many photos as you can find and may want to have digitised. Let them scan all - see that you are close to the 100 pics limit, and stay with close to full integer multiples - and you are set for the future.

PSE should be able to open PCD files [there's a plug-in I may find for you].

Asher Kelman

Don Lashier said:
Speaking of duping photos with a camera, check out this photo taken in a Havana alley: Photo shot on neg film with Oly P&S, drugstore print, print shot laying on a hotel room bed using Kodachrome with Nikonos, slide scanned with Coolscan. Talk about workflow ;) I don't know if it would ever have come out this good without being third generation. Prints very nice at 12 x 18.

nd26013p.jpg

- DL

Magnificent Decay! Don I love your picture so. That is a great workflow! That car is something hard to find anywhere here! When did you take it and hoe did you go? Via canada or Mexico?

The Cubans suffer from anemia of hope for reaching their growth potential for personal and society fulfilment. However, I doubt they are less happy than most americans tied to treadmills of gaining housefuls of gadgets made in Asia and S. America or freezers full of food.

Cubans are experts in repurposing and repairing things for which there are no spare parts. Also they are very friendly and welcoming to guests.

Life is tough their but laughter is part of the life too.

Still, if you need an expensive hernia surgery, it will be first class there, I expect and much cheaper.

The hernia? From schlepping your heavy tripod, Deardorf 16X20 and your Leaf-backed Mamiya too. Cuba is one of the dream places to take photographs.

Asher

Mary Bull

Thanks a mil, Dierk.

I won't be doing this until well up into next week. As I posted earlier, I'm hoping to be learning the Epson R800 printer over the next few days.

Mary

Don Lashier

Asher Kelman said:
Magnificent Decay! Don I love your picture so. That is a great workflow! That car is something hard to find anywhere here! When did you take it and hoe did you go? Via canada or Mexico?
Sorry, I omitted that my sister actually took the picture - I just scanned and made a print for her. She was there a couple years ago on her way to Haiti, I believe via Mexico but I'm not sure. I've been to Cuba also but pre-Castro so flew from Key West.
The Cubans suffer from anemia of hope for reaching their growth potential for personal and society fulfilment. However, I doubt they are less happy than most americans tied to treadmills of gaining housefuls of gadgets made in Asia and S. America or freezers full of food.
I learned this lesson very eary having discovered Thoreau when I was about 10. Spending time in Mexico and El Salvador reinforced the myth of the "American Dream" - despite their lack of material wealth, these folks are by and large happier and still know how to enjoy life. Many of the professionals I worked with in El Salvador had spent many years in the US and voluntarily returned home and when I asked why the answer was invariably "for a better quality of life".

Many of my acquantances are as over-worked as myself and my running joke when this comes up is "I'm thinking of moving to a third world country where they still know how to enjoy life".

- DL