• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

A serious EVF

Doug Kerr

In this picture of the new Canon XC10, a "4k video and stills camera", we see it configured with what looks like what I would call a serious EVF:

xc10big1-635x403.jpg
Image via Canon Rumors​

Of course I do the same thing when I put my Hoodman "loupe" on the monitor screen of my Canon EOS 40D! But that tales a couple of elastic bands!

The machine has a 16.5 mm ("1 inch") sensor and a permanent lens with a full-frame 35-mm equivalent focal length range of 27.3 - 273 mm.

Still image resolution is said to be 12.0 Mpx don't know what aspect ratio); maximum video resolution seems to be 3840 px x 2160 px.

The B&H preorder price is USD 2,499.00, which I believe does not include the eyepiece viewer for the monitor screen (making the "serious EVF" to which I alluded at the outset); I see no price listed for that. Also presumably extra is the lens hood. Here is the basic machine:

canon_0565c013_xc10_1134581.jpg
Image via B&H Photo-Video​

I think this is a potent machine.

Best regards,

Doug

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
I don't understand the existence of this camera. For stills, how does it compete against any number of sub full frame still camera with a zoom lens?

As a video camera, I guess some of the extras one would get for a DSLR it Mirrorless camera are not needed. But does it make sense for amateur movie making when a collective is likely to have a bunch of very capable cameras able to match the quality.

Does this perhaps make a good broadcast quality TV camera?

Asher

Doug Kerr

Does this perhaps make a good broadcast quality TV camera?

Much TV intended for broadcast use is today shot with a conventional Canon DSLR.

Carla and I were in a "broadcast" TV commercial shot with a conventional Canon DSLR.

Best regards,

Doug