• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

My brother's new car

Nill Toulme

For his Christmas present, my brother asked me to make him a print of his new car. Here's what he sent me:

cobra1.jpg

Here's what I'm sending him back, as a 16x24 print:

cobra2.jpg

This is my first try at this sort of thing. Sure was fun... hope he likes it!

Nill
~~
www.toulme.net

Tom Henkel

Well thats more interesting than the original...

The only thing I don't like is that little halo around the bottom part of the right front fender. The rest of it looks good.

Tom

nicolas claris

OPF Co-founder/Administrator
Wow! nice work Nill, but if used for an advertisement, you should have written in small font "shot in a foreign country" in order not to be driven in justice court for encouraging people using their car without driver/pilot!
Well I guess ;-) you know much better than me all these laws... At least this one is typically French...

Nice car BTW

Tim Armes

Hi Nill,

Great work on the body of the car, it sparkles! I also really like the way you've changed the angle, which has made the image much more dynamic.

I'm not so sure I like the motion blur with the driverless car, but hey, that's artistic licence(*) for you. I'm sure that your brother will be thrilled.

Tim

(*) A piece of trivia for the non-British: In British English words such as licence, practice etc. are spelled with a 'c' for the noun, and an 's' for the verb. In US English these words are all spelt with an 's' except for advice/advise (which are pronounced differently).

Hi Nill,

I like it. It give it nice energy. I agree with Tim about the change in angle.

Tim Armes said:
(*) A piece of trivia for the non-British: In British English words such as licence, practice etc. are spelled with a 'c' for the noun, and an 's' for the verb. In US English these words are all spelt with an 's' except for advice/advise (which are pronounced differently).
Hi Tim,

License is US English*. But, practice always has a 'c' in US English. While you give someone advice /add vise/ (the noun) and you may advise /add vize/ another (the verb) is also US English. But then, that is english. One throws the trash in the garbage when one throws the garbage in the trash.

enjoy,

Sean

* The word english in all lowercase is the noun for the group of languages in common parlance** and English explicitly implies England and its usage in England [but not Wales or Scotland where they speak english]

** A capitol E on english implies speaking of language families and not of the varied spoken language itself. Consider that US English, Canadian English, and Australian English are all english. But outside of the etymology of languages english is a conglomerate of many proper nouns without being a proper noun itself.

Tim Armes

Sean DeMerchant said:
License is US English*. But, practice always has a 'c' in US English. While you give someone advice /add vise/ (the noun) and you may advise /add vize/ another (the verb) is also US English. But then, that is english. One throws the trash in the garbage when one throws the garbage in the trash.

Ah, I've learnt something new there. So you might practice your photography, whereas I'd practise it. However, we might both need the practice!

Nill, sorry, we'll stop hijacking your thread now!

Tim

nicolas claris

OPF Co-founder/Administrator
Oh la la

Qui a dit que le français est une langue compliquée ?

Sean DeMerchant said:
Hi Nill,

I like it. It give it nice energy. I agree with Tim about the change in angle.

Hi Tim,

enjoy,

Sean

* The word english in all lowercase is the noun for the group of languages in common parlance** and English explicitly implies England and its usage in England [but not Wales or Scotland where they speak english]

** A capitol E on english implies speaking of language families and not of the varied spoken language itself. Consider that US English, Canadian English, and Australian English are all english. But outside of the etymology of languages english is a conglomerate of many proper nouns without being a proper noun itself.

Nill Toulme

Thanks all, on all counts. ;-)

Tim, as long as we're learning how to spell, when does one use "spelled" vs. "spelt," and "learned" vs. "learnt?"

And whilst we're on the topic of British/American lore, the car is an "actual" 1966 AC Shelby Cobra. "Actual" in that it has enough original bits to qualify as an original car. It's a 428 (as were about 2/3 of the original "427" Cobras), 400hp, 450 ft/lb torque. Recreated as original in almost every detail. Pretty amazing. I'm looking forward to driving it someday. ;-)

Nill
~~
www.toulme.net

Marian Howell

excellent job nill!! at 16x24 this must be awesome! i too like the angle change, and while i did notice the driverless car had motion blur, i liked it done that way. i think this is a case where the photo should simply be appreciated as a visual without making it cross into reality :)
your brother is fortunate to have you available to him to sparkle up that photo he sent you!

Tim Armes

Hi Nill,

Now you're hijacking your own thread! :)

I think that spelled/spelt are both acceptable in British English. I've heard that the 't' variants (spelt, dreamt, etc.) are archaic to american speakers, but as a British speaker I personally much prefer the 't' forms - to my ear the 'ed' form sounds wrong.

"wrong" and "wrongly" can be interchangeable in some circumstances. Note however that although you can say "he spelt it wrongly" or "he spelt it wrong" you can't say "he spelt it incorrect". Here "wrong" is quite unusual in its acceptable use as an adverb.

I don't know the rule though. You can't say "it sounds wrongly", for example, but don't ask me why!

Tim

Ron Morse

I don't care anything at all about the spelling but I love the car and the picture.

I have always wanted to build one of the kits available. I have quite a few 427 parts and a complete 428 CJ engine.

I wish you hadn't shown this. I fear another obsession coming on.

Nill Toulme

I'd be glad to put you in touch with my brother. I'm confident he'd be happy to talk with anyone who owns a complete 428 CJ. ;-) Drop me a note offline if you're interested.

Nill
~~
www.toulme.net

Nill Toulme said:
Thanks all, on all counts. ;-)

Tim, as long as we're learning how to spell, when does one use "spelled" vs. "spelt," and "learned" vs. "learnt?"

And whilst we're on the topic of British/American lore, the car is an "actual" 1966 AC Shelby Cobra. "Actual" in that it has enough original bits to qualify as an original car. It's a 428 (as were about 2/3 of the original "427" Cobras), 400hp, 450 ft/lb torque. Recreated as original in almost every detail. Pretty amazing. I'm looking forward to driving it someday. ;-)

Nill
~~
www.toulme.net

that little beastie is worth a VERY tidy sum... probably in excess of $300k USD, if it's original and in such pristine shape, possibly closer to half a million... one wants to be very circumspect about driving such a machine... but Lord, how i'd love to have the chance!! oh, and i love the treatment you gave the photo!