• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Inverting photos in Lightroom

Tim Armes

Hi,

In a recent thread I mentioned that I had used Photoshop to invert some images since Lightroom didn't have this function.

I have now discovered however that using some trickery and a clever develop preset, such trickery can be done. For those who might have use for such a function, here's a develop preset that inverts the colours in an image without modifying anything else:

http://www.timothyarmes.com/OPF/Invert.zip

Place the Invert.lrtemplates file (inside the above zip) into Lightroom's "Develop Presets" folder.

Regards,

Tim

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Great work Tim!

Hope you are doing a lot of work in your studio and not freezing your butt off!

Asher

Gina Stephen

That is a great preset. I just recently started playing with Lightroom. I have way more experience manipulating photographs in photoshop. Is Lightroom just a more popular tool in these circles, or are there better features for photographers in this program? I ask because I tend use what I know in these cases.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
That is a great preset. I just recently started playing with Lightroom. I have way more experience manipulating photographs in photoshop. Is Lightroom just a more popular tool in these circles, or are there better features for photographers in this program? I ask because I tend use what I know in these cases.

Lightroom has a built in catalogue system. The interface is modern with all the tools spread around like Capture One. Likely it's therefore faster to batch process similar files as they are all available in icons right there and then. In photoshop, one has to load them.

Asher

Gina Stephen

Lightroom has a built in catalogue system. The interface is modern with all the tools spread around like Capture One. Likely it's therefore faster to batch process similar files as they are all available in icons right there and then. In photoshop, one has to load them.
Asher

Okay, that makes sense. When I use a program like that, I tend to close down all the "extra windows" and just focus on the picture. It makes sense that I'm wasting time pulling things back open when I'm re-touching or whatever. Sorry I'm such a newbie. I've only done a few family portraits and I'm still learning. But this will be very handy when my class starts soon.

Mike Shimwell

That preset post is from 2007 ,so will it work with LR 3 ?

I'm not sure, but if you open an image in ACR, zero everything and then invert using the custom curves tool you can save it, open in LR and save the settings as a preset. i do this with some film specific sharpening to allow me to quickly invert and sharpen film scans.

Mike

I used the preset in Lightroom 3, and it does the job. The only thing you have to get used to is that all the other controls like Exposure, Fill Light, Blacks and so on still work on the negative, so everything is inverted (turning down exposure makes the image brighter).

But it's been a huge timesaver for me, thanks for posting.