• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Review: Exhibition Planned for OPF Photographers, if we're lucky, Nov. 13th to Dec. 13th 2013

Tom dinning

Registrant*
I should read the posts more often.
I just came across this.
So, let me see if I have this right.
I select 6 shots and post them here.
If they meet the criteria I would need to print and matt them to one of the sizes mentioned and ship them to you, Asher.
Is it as simple as that?

Adrian Wareham

Adrian,

Since we need to select images for ultimate printing, please send me these files directly to editor.opfATmac.com using yousendit.com if the files are larger than 20 MB as I can't judge them as shown with the extra compression.

Thanks,

Asher

Okay. The Mt Shasta woods file is 15.1MB JPEG. The Lavender Farm with Mt Shasta in the background is 13.1MB. 2 e-mails.

-Adrian

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
I should read the posts more often.
I just came across this.
So, let me see if I have this right.
I select 6 shots and post them here.
If they meet the criteria I would need to print and matt them to one of the sizes mentioned and ship them to you, Asher.
Is it as simple as that?

I just selected the number 6 as it is "enough" for one section of a collection for me to get an idea of what's available in the parameters you are focussed on. But you may well have more in that same category for us to make further selections to expand/refine that category, if needed. Just that they should be selected so that it's really the best of what you'd share! If the incoming images shift the topic away from the concept of "Spaces we live in/ interact with, take control of, are special to us" and the like, we'd just reframe our ideas on what the unifying topic should be. What we want is that, given this general topic, we can assemble a broad number of ways of looking at man and space on this planet: spaces, private, public, theoretical or imaginary as long as one can show it in a compelling image.

The assembled collection will be submitted in May to the gallery. If my curating is accepted, then the exhibition will be "on" some time starting November/December 2013. Otherwise, we further refine it for early 2014.

If the standard is not high enough, we'll delay the presentation.

Asher

Adrian Wareham

This was the metadata from the picture in the forest: 42mm (18-135mm ef-s lens), 1250 ISO, 1/30th, and f9.

Do those seem as unusual to you as they do to me?

George Holroyd

This was the metadata from the picture in the forest: 42mm (18-135mm ef-s lens), 1250 ISO, 1/30th, and f9.

Do those seem as unusual to you as they do to me?

It appears you had the camera in one of the automatic modes and also may have had the auto ISO feature turned on. Certain (if not all currently produced) Canon cameras will maintain a shutter speed of 1/30 when in auto ISO mode, it's a bit of a bug, IMO. There is nothing wrong with shooting in "auto" mode, but you should familiarize yourself with how your particular camera meters light. The reflected light meter in your camera can be easily fooled by a variety of lighting situations and a heavily back-lit scene is one of them. It can make for some weird exposure settings.

Adrian Wareham

It appears you had the camera in one of the automatic modes and also may have had the auto ISO feature turned on. Certain (if not all currently produced) Canon cameras will maintain a shutter speed of 1/30 when in auto ISO mode, it's a bit of a bug, IMO. There is nothing wrong with shooting in "auto" mode, but you should familiarize yourself with how your particular camera meters light. The reflected light meter in your camera can be easily fooled by a variety of lighting situations and a heavily back-lit scene is one of them. It can make for some weird exposure settings.

Oh no, it was on purpose. (all manual) I just was wondering if you've ended up shooting at settings like that. It seemed weird to need those settings so early in the afternoon. You know?

edit: when I was trying those settings (figuring it can't hurt to try), suddenly the picture was noticeably better ... maybe just freak conditions?

George Holroyd

I shouldn't have assumed, but those seemed to be the product of a meter trying to average a high contrast scene and defaulting to it's programming. Were you using a tripod? I ask because 1/30 of a second is a slower shutter speed than most could hold steadily with a DSLR, even at a focal length of 42mm.

Adrian Wareham

I shouldn't have assumed, but those seemed to be the product of a meter trying to average a high contrast scene and defaulting to it's programming. Were you using a tripod? I ask because 1/30 of a second is a slower shutter speed than most could hold steadily with a DSLR, even at a focal length of 42mm.

I leaned it against a tree, and held from underneath. I guess I have steady hands, though, because I do a LOT of night photography at 1/30th and 50mm with that 60D. I seldom need more than a 3200 ISO even at night. So needing almost half that in the day felt weird, but was the difference between f1.4 and f9.0 ... lol

Asher Kelman

What are we missing here? School yards, prison yards, railway yards (post #52), thank you michael!!...... warehouses, barns, .........?

Tom dinning

Registrant*
I just selected the number 6 as it is "enough" for one section of a collection for me to get an idea of what's available in the parameters you are focussed on. But you may well have more in that same category for us to make further selections to expand/refine that category, if needed. Just that they should be selected so that it's really the best of what you'd share! If the incoming images shift the topic away from the concept of "Spaces we live in/ interact with, take control of, are special to us" and the like, we'd just reframe our ideas on what the unifying topic should be. What we want is that, given this general topic, we can assemble a broad number of ways of looking at man and space on this planet: spaces, private, public, theoretical or imaginary as long as one can show it in a compelling image.

The assembled collection will be submitted in May to the gallery. If my curating is accepted, then the exhibition will be "on" some time starting November/December 2013. Otherwise, we further refine it for early 2014.

If the standard is not high enough, we'll delay the presentation.

Asher

Thanks, Asher.

Asher Kelman

Since I see pictures taken in a fancy fair, let me add this series I had already posted some time ago on the forum:

Exactly the idea, Jerome!

We need everyone to act on their own impulse to see connections and announce them. That way we inform each other and expand the motif. Afterwards, if need be we can slay our darlings!

Asher

George Holroyd

Things seem to be swinging toward urban landscape, lots of spaces and few souls to be seen. With that in mind, I offer the following. As always, I am open to any comments and/or criticism.

Theme: Urban environmental (whatever)
Medium: To be determined

tumblr_mjnn602Eis1rxciibo1_1280.jpg

Untitled, Milan, 2012
tumblr_mjnn602Eis1rxciibo2_1280.jpg

Untitled, Milan, 2012
tumblr_mjnn602Eis1rxciibo3_1280.jpg

Untitled, Paris, 2013
tumblr_mjnn602Eis1rxciibo4_1280.jpg

Untitled, Paris, 2013
tumblr_mjnn602Eis1rxciibo5_1280.jpg

Untitled, Paris, 2013

Terry Lee

Impressive, Terry!

Very much so! numbers one and five gave me goose bumps they're so good!

Asher​

Dude! Thanks so much! Really honored to hear that.

There is a cool back story to this set. I'm trying to finish another folio of these in the next few days/weeks and get it out.

Seriously thanks man!​

Terry Lee

Things seem to be swinging toward urban landscape, lots of spaces and few souls to be seen. With that in mind, I offer the following. As always, I am open to any comments and/or criticism.

Theme: Urban environmental (whatever)
Medium: To be determined

tumblr_mjnn602Eis1rxciibo1_1280.jpg

Untitled, Milan, 2012
tumblr_mjnn602Eis1rxciibo2_1280.jpg

Untitled, Milan, 2012
tumblr_mjnn602Eis1rxciibo3_1280.jpg

Untitled, Paris, 2013
tumblr_mjnn602Eis1rxciibo4_1280.jpg

Untitled, Paris, 2013
tumblr_mjnn602Eis1rxciibo5_1280.jpg

Untitled, Paris, 2013

MAN! I love Milan! That street scene rocks! The others are really spectacular too. But that one jumped out of my monitor and slapped me silly!

Asher Kelman

WOW....love those colors! Looks a lot like pigment over platinum prints....

Terry,

I was thinking I'd seen that color palette before; very special indeed and exactly as our good friend Jim Collum does! Look at his work in exhibition here in post #5.

Thanks for recognizing this modern-classic approach of pigment over platinum.

Asher

Terry Lee

Terry,

I was thinking I'd seen that color palette before; very special indeed and exactly as our good friend Jim Collum does! Look at his work in exhibition here in post #5.

Thanks for recognizing this modern-classic approach of pigment over platinum.

Asher

EXACTLY!

I love the look....AMAZING and a TON of hard work...but the results are well worth it.

Jerome Marot

Terry,

For the record, I took my pictures and published them on this forum about 2 years before the thread from Jim Collum.

Asher Kelman

For the record, I took my pictures and published them on this forum about 2 years before the thread from Jim Collum.

Jerome,

Only the color palettes and fair equipment are similar. The locations and techniques are so different and each photographer's work is unique and has it's own charm. Still, by coincidence of similarity, they do seem related, just as romantic sunsets and images of the Eiffel tower or London Bridge. There's no evidence that one was influenced by the other. If one has good esthetics and has a background in taking pictures of architecture, respecting form, (at which both these photographers are so accomplished), then these careful, orthogonally made pictures would be the esthetic chosen. I would not shoot like that as I'd go for some special angle or ultra-wide. It so happens that we have two fine photographers who know structure very well. nothing more, nothing less. But the pictures are different!

Asher

Jean Henderson

Whoa! Am I ever late showing up! I've been (slowly) working on light and lighting techiniques since late January, mostly with people. I've been pretty much keeping to myself since then. I haven't even read the whole thread yet, but it's definitely now scheduled for tomorrow! Then I'll have to do some thinking about what to submit. Are all the urban/outdoor images taking over as an overall theme or would some people fit it as another category?

Jean

Asher Kelman

A boost to remind folk, we're still in need of images: large spaces, tiny spaces, personal or imaginary. :)

Also if you have other great stuff, (no nudes this time), we'll try to modify the title. In the end the curating task is to classify images so our collection appears as one entity joined together by sub-themes and /motifs.

Your support is appreciated.

Asher