• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

In Perspective, Planet: The Woman that Revolutionized Evolution!

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Sadly I discovered that Lyn Margolis, a brilliant scientist, passed this past tuesday at the age of 73. She brought attention to the fact that much of the history of life on the planet occurred before 500 million years ago and depended on earlier life forms where symbiosis between primitive bacteria evolved to become the eukrayotic cells which form all the advanced organisms on our planet and they are all related so closely to one another because of this.

MARGULISobit-popup.jpg

Paul Hosefos/The New York Times: Lynn Margulis, wearing her National Medal of Science Award.

When she first published her findings, she was scorned. Since then, here work has become the foundation and dogma of evolutionary biology and the basis for subsequent genetic evolutionary adaption.

I had the great pleasure of meeting her in Boston University when I started my Ph.D.

I'm so sorry to read of her passing!

The take home message is that we are first and foremost communities of life. So our roll as individuals depend on mutual support even at the most microscopic level. We should not forget that.

Asher

Read more here

Mark Hampton

Sadly I discovered that Lyn Margolis, a brilliant scientist, passed this past tuesday at the age of 73. She brought attention to the fact that much of the history of life on the planet occurred before 500 million years ago and depended on earlier life forms where symbiosis between primitive bacteria evolved to become the eukrayotic cells which form all the advanced organisms on our planet and they are all related so closely to one another because of this.

MARGULISobit-popup.jpg

Paul Hosefos/The New York Times: Lynn Margulis, wearing her National Medal of Science Award.

When she first published her findings, she was scorned. Since then, here work has become the foundation and dogma of evolutionary biology and the basis for subsequent genetic evolutionary adaption.

I had the great pleasure of meeting her in Boston University when I started my Ph.D.

I'm so sorry to read of her passing!

The take home message is that we are first and foremost communities of life. So our roll as individuals depend on mutual support even at the most microscopic level. We should not forget that.

Asher

Read more here

Asher,

what a life... to have understood something that is simple and deep and bring it forward...

cheers

Doug Kerr

Hi, Asher,

A fabulous contribution, yet so few of us are even aware of her. Thank you from bring this to our attention.

Of course most of the people in Texas (except for Carla and myself) were all created late on a Saturday afternoon about 25,000 years ago. It was supposed to happen a little earlier, but the writer from The Book Of Genesis, who was supposed to do the comptes rendus, had not yet been created then.

Best regards,

Doug

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Hi, Asher,

A fabulous contribution, yet so few of us are even aware of her. Thank you from bring this to our attention.

Of course most of the people in Texas (except for Carla and myself) were all created late on a Saturday afternoon about 25,000 years ago. It was supposed to happen a little earlier, but the writer from The Book Of Genesis, who was supposed to do the comptes rendus, had not yet been created then.

Carla and you both are in Sodom and Gomorra, LOL! Stay there so they will be protected from harm!

Meanwhile, going back further, one has to ask about the so-called, "primordial soups" that, hit by lightening formed organic compounds.

Well Campbell's® soup thus subjected for a billion years would likely be broken down and sterile! The idea that I've heard is that electron gradients near deep ocean alkaline thermal vents, (ocean more acidic because of dissolved carbon dioxide), allowed primitive reactions to push towards complex organic molecules and the self organization of stacks of nucleotides and hence primitive DNA, RNA and peptide chains which symbiotically supported one another. The most efficient survived stuck to rocks. In fact, rocks plastered with nascent complex molecules were likely the earliest forms of self replicating "life".

Taken to the nth, life on this planet is a single entity made of of ever-evolving balances which survive a while to be replaced, (or not), by the latest versions until the material is in equilibrium or collapses on itself.

Asher