• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

ETC Profile in Adobe CS2

Diane Fields

RAM said:
Is there a way to use the ETC 5D camera profile in the Adobe CS2. All I get showing up in the profile list is ACR 3.3.

Thanks,

RAM

RAM, I know Michael will be here to explain this better---and perhaps Magne too (hope he is around).

Magne's camera profiles are created for each RAW converter--and can't be used successfully in another converter. If that had been possible, I could have used all of my C1 Magne profiles for all my bodies in RSP--but it is not. So--Magne created his profiles in a little different package (Color Engine in RSP) where I again have an ETC profile for my bodies---but they are not interchangeable.

I have seen Magne respond to this question before--and I'm only going to relate that he says either he can't/won't or it isn't possible to create a profile for ACR.

I believe if you read Bruce Fraser's very good book 'Real World Camera RAW with Adobe Photoshop CS2' that you will find how to build a 'profile' or really calibrate your camera for ACR--pgs. 95-101.

Michael Mouravi

As Diane said, Magne's (and most profiles, really) are designed for a specific RAW converter. It can't really be otherwise, as a profile is generated AFTER the file is processed in a RAW converter, so it is based on a particular way a specific converter interprets colors.

Additionally, Adobe Camera RAW does not support ICC profiles for cameras.

Michael Tapes

OPF Administrator/Moderator
Additionally, Adobe Camera RAW does not support ICC profiles for cameras.

This is really the crux of the matter. While ACR uses 2 camera profiles for each supported camera, they are not in a standard form, and cannot be "replaced" as they can be in CO and RSP. As such, you cannot make any camera profile for ACR. What can be done is to make a profile that can be assigned to the image within PS, but that is a destructive process, not much different that editing the image. The bottom line is you are changing the numbers within the file, after the image has already been "cooked" by the raw converter.

By using the calibrate adjustments within ACR, while not as precise as a Magne/ETC profile, the advantage is that you are making changes to the RAW data, and therefore not causing an after the fact "destructive" change to the data. It becomes part of the RAW data conversion process.

Hope that this helps..

JohanElzenga

Michael Tapes said:
What can be done is to make a profile that can be assigned to the image within PS, but that is a destructive process, not much different that editing the image. The bottom line is you are changing the numbers within the file, after the image has already been "cooked" by the raw converter.

No, you are not. Assigning a profile to an image is not a destructive process. If you convert an image to another profile you will change color numbers, but if you assign a profile to an image nothing like that happens. All that happens is that the same numbers are now interpreted differently so you see a different color.

Michael Tapes

OPF Administrator/Moderator
JohanElzenga said:
No, you are not. Assigning a profile to an image is not a destructive process. If you convert an image to another profile you will change color numbers, but if you assign a profile to an image nothing like that happens. All that happens is that the same numbers are now interpreted differently so you see a different color.

Yes...my mistake. What I meant was not a literally destructive process, but a potentially destructive process to the final image output. I agree that the profile can always be assigned "back" to the original profile (of you remember it), but the output can become "wacky" based on the new color profile assignment, but this is true of any profile no matter where or how applied.

Thanks for the correction..