• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Scott Kelby's Crush the Composition video @ G+ Conference

Cem_Usakligil

I have come across this video via the Luminous Landscape forums. It is a bit longish (65 minutes) but it is absolutely worth watching. You may choose to ignore Kelby or say that he is not a great photographer who is worthy of your time, but he knows well what he is talking about in this video. I thought it was very insightful and well presented. Especially the final part where he talks about the importance of the subject itself to either make or break a great picture is rather interesting and thought provoking.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Well, Cem, you're one of the last folk who could be fooled by snake charmers or puffery, so we must take your recommendation pretty seriously. Thanks in advance, as I'm game and will try it out!

Asher

Cem_Usakligil

Good to hear that you will take a look Asher. Just to be clear, I am not saying that the contents of this video will appease everybody, nor will we all agree with everything he says. The value of watching a video like this (or reading a review or a blog) is that we can re-assess our own convictions and can pick up the useful bits and enhance our knowledge. This can only happen if we keep an open mind. One thing he explains strongly is what he calls "working the scene", using his own photos as an example. We then get to see that all photographers (great or not) face the same dilemmas when shooting.

I'm a little confused, Cem. I've seen this before and now that you mentioned it, went to see it again and still am confused. Isn't this how all of us shoot? I mean, yes, there are rules, but we understand that they are guidelines to help us understand about composition especially if you have no clue, but I may not get to shoot the Taj Mahal, but even shooting around where I live or a set-up in my house, it's the way I go. It may end up that things may end up on the 3rd, but not because it had to be.

I mean, looking at your photos, I can't imagine that you just follow some set of rules; I'm sure you are always looking for a unique perspective and don't just take a picture of something and then move on. I thought that was what it was about.

I mean, there is nothing wrong with the video, and with all respect to you, Cem ,as you know I love your work but I'm wondering what the new revelation is supposed to be?

Cem_Usakligil

Hi Maggie,

I suspect that we are somewhat miscommunicating. But we can solve that easily. :)

The video does not advocate the so called rules of composition, on the contrary. Kelby tells us how those rules can misguide us and not even apply to certain compositions. He is telling us, with his working the scene plea, that we should be acting on our instincts more and less on the rules. Try to find what has attracted our interest in a given situation and capture it. One may use or ignore the rules.

How I shoot myself is very much as he describes in working the scene. I try to work at various angles and walk around, take some pictures and then try some other perspectives, etc, until I discover what I am looking for. Sometimes it works well, sometimes I go back home thinking that I wasn't able to shoot what I wanted. Only to discover in a few years that the gems were hidden in there somewhere. :)

No new revelations to me, I just thought that it was a worthwhile video.

Hi Maggie,

I suspect that we are somewhat miscommunicating. But we can solve that easily. :)

The video does not advocate the so called rules of composition, on the contrary. Kelby tells us how those rules can misguide us and not even apply to certain compositions. He is telling us, with his working the scene plea, that we should be acting on our instincts more and less on the rules. Try to find what has attracted our interest in a given situation and capture it. One may use or ignore the rules.

How I shoot myself is very much as he describes in working the scene. I try to work at various angles and walk around, take some pictures and then try some other perspectives, etc, until I discover what I am looking for. Sometimes it works well, sometimes I go back home thinking that I wasn't able to shoot what I wanted. Only to discover in a few years that the gems were hidden in there somewhere. :)

No new revelations to me, I just thought that it was a worthwhile video.

Well, I knew he wasn't advocating the rules, and I do like you do, walk around and try to find new perspectives etc., so thought that was just normal and nothing new. LOL D Glad we are both doing already what he seems to think is a brand new way of shooting!
Maggie

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Maggie,

You beat me to it. I did not view the video as I'm in Hawaii and there's the simple difficulty of catching the tiny yellow birds, the ones with red heads and the pheasants. In fact, each time I sit at my computer, Wendy calls that the birds have returned, only to fly off before I pick up my camera!

So, for now, I'll take the tidbits from your comments and Cem's report and assume that I too don't follow rules and look for fresh angles and unique light.

Asher