• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Don't Stop Shooting Action...

Robert Watcher

Don't Stop Shooting Action...

..just because your camera isn't good for action.

Something that I know discourages many people who love photography, are camera/lens reviews and freely shared opinions, that a camera (generally older technology or not the latest/best) isn't capable of performing in a specific area of photography.

When it comes to shooting action, that would be the consensus when attempting to use such a camera as the Olympus E-PL1 for that type of photography. Question is - does common thought stop you from using the "inadequate" gear that you have to shoot any style of photography that you want to.

Coming from a background of photographic limitations such as no in-camera light meter, no auto focus, limited lens selection, limited ASA selection, not being able to see if you got the shot right until 2 weeks later, high cost of film and processing - - - it is true that is may be easier for me use limited gear to shoot whatever type of content that I want - - - and so you don't even bother trying.

Maybe seeing a few action shots taken yesterday - with a lowly (when it comes to focusing speed, slow aperture, tracking ability and high ISO performance) Olympus E-PL1 and kit lenses - will help you to just shoot what you want to shoot, with what you have, instead of limiting your imagination and abilities by presuming that you can't get the shots that you want:

EP150964.jpg

This thing was flying straight at me (14-42mm) - key = swing laterally with the motion, halfpressing shutter in anticipation of where the cart will pass

EP151025.jpg

Fast rotation and motion and many obstacles (40-150mm) - key = shoot lots of images in hopes that they may be facing you in a couple

EP151099.jpg

Small window for clear shot (40-150mm) - key = prefocus on the area and shoot as they pass by

EP151222.jpg

Obstacles to throw off focus (40-150mm) - key = find a good location with a clear view and make sure focus is not distracted by near objects

EP151293.jpg

Walking briskly towards me (14-42mm) - key = walk backwards at same pace

ADVANTAGE OLYMPUS - when shooting action, is the extra depth of field.