• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

The Dinner Lady

James Lemon

i-M2WGxmr-L.jpg

James Lemon

Nice Lady and smile, but can you explain the title? Not understandable for a Frenchie… ; )

Well James,

You made use of a wide aperture and a great bones to.balance the assymetry!

She does not look like she's going to wash the dishes, but perhaps she's the cook?

Asher

Nicolas, Asher

The title can not be explained regardless of language... but it does get the grey cells working? I don't understand it myself. I think Asher is on the right track though. She was waiting at a bus stop with her bag of groceries from a near by market.

Best, regards
James

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief

James, my friend, please allow me to be critical of this obviously well done shoot, when I like the picture a lot! Bear with me as I feel we miss a lot when we just get the very end of what excited you and made you shoot in the first place.

Why on earth dont you have the lady with her shopping? That tells the story, James! That background is valuable.

The idea has crept into Street Photography, like some irrevocable law, "handed down to Moses", in the Bible,

"A good picture speaks for itself!"

Well is that really true? Why would we need recordings with headphones at National Museum Exhibitions, to hear the voice of the curator, at each numbered picture, as we walk through the salons?

This lady is indeed interesting. Your picture is wonderful, but we need that story!

Someone else, with the new 100 MP Hassy or Phase One, could frame just her right nostril, perfectly lit, composed and photographed, again with the title, "Dinner Lady"!

I like the picture and I love the title. Be more generous in both. Sorry to be so pushy, but you have it all, good sensibility, great choice of subject, the best camera one can find and an eager audience!

Do you happen to have the first "missing" image, the estaqbilishing shot", in a movie before we zoom in? That would be really interesting. You found the apt subject to record. But please, think wider view!

Hope my confrontation is not found far too pushy, as I am concerned about letting something go, but also being appreciative and respecting of your work!

Asher

James Lemon

James, my friend, please allow me to be critical of this obviously well done shoot, when I like the picture a lot! Bear with me as I feel we miss a lot when we just get the very end of what excited you and made you shoot in the first place.

Why on earth dont you have the lady with her shopping? That tells the story, James! That background is valuable.

The idea has crept into Street Photography, like some irrevocable law, "handed down to Moses", in the Bible,

"A good picture speaks for itself!"

Well is that really true? Why would we need recordings with headphones at National Museum Exhibitions, to hear the voice of the curator, at each numbered picture, as we walk through the salons?

This lady is indeed interesting. Your picture is wonderful, but we need that story!

Someone else, with the new 100 MP Hassy or Phase One, could frame just her right nostril, perfectly lit, composed and photographed, again with the title, "Dinner Lady"!

I like the picture and I love the title. Be more generous in both. Sorry to be so pushy, but you have it all, good sensibility, great choice of subject, the best camera one can find and an eager audience!

Do you happen to have the first "missing" image, the estaqbilishing shot", in a movie before we zoom in? That would be really interesting. You found the apt subject to record. But please, think wider view!

Hope my confrontation is not found far too pushy, as I am concerned about letting something go, but also being appreciative and respecting of your work!

Asher

Hi Asher

Thank you for the feedback and glad you like the image. Street photography means different things to different people. Most think it has to be candid but history would show that is not the case. Think about the days long ago in Paris before 35mm when large and medium format required a tripod and long exposures, of course people posed for pictures. A bystander was not just a person hanging out on the street observing and making pictures. Many photographs were staged and a bystander was also someone picked out of a crowd and paid to be in a photo,a small boy her/girl earning a shiny nickel or whatever.

Some of my photos are more spontaneous than others but they are spontaneous none the less depending on what I am shooting. This photo is only a small part of an ongoing project that unfolds as time passes. This image is about the person, her attire and generation. I am actually working on several projects at the same time. I am always on the hunt looking for senior citizens who have the types of character that I am looking for.

i-GrZxPWP-L.jpg

i-26kRGcJ-L.jpg

i-xHQstTZ-L.jpg

i-S66TmBG-L.jpg

20131226-L1003339-Edit-5-L.jpg

i-nbtszk4-L.jpg

Best, regards
James

Asher Kelman

Well, James, you earned your keep and made a good point!

Still I think its generous to help us and introduce the folk anyway!

Asher

James Lemon

Well, James, you earned your keep and made a good point!

Still I think its generous to help us and introduce the folk anyway!

Asher

Asher

I don't even introduce myself to these folk and most of the time I don't even get a name because they are busy gong about their business. They do like the fact that that I took their picture and often thank me. I am always appreciative of their time.

James

Asher Kelman

Asher

I don't even introduce myself to these folk and most of the time I don't even get a name because they are busy gong about their business. They do like the fact that that I took their picture and often thank me. I am always appreciative of their time.

James

Everyone has a different style. Fahim Mohammed smiles at folk and chats. Robert Watcher gets their information and might even bring them back a print, perhaps a year later, but he does bother that much!

Antonio seems to being them to his garage studio to set up the lights. Often these are known folk in the town.

I snap from over the road with a long lens or include them in a wide angle shot, pretending to focus away from them. But half the time, I take the picture close by with a 50 mm lens and then smile. If they notice me first, I ask permission and then chat and get their life story!

I try to get their info if they have noticed me and then I send them jpgs by email. No prints!

Asher

James Lemon

Everyone has a different style. Fahim Mohammed smiles at folk and chats. Robert Watcher gets their information and might even bring them back a print, perhaps a year later, but he does bother that much!

Antonio seems to being them to his garage studio to set up the lights. Often these are known folk in the town.

I snap from over the road with a long lens or include them in a wide angle shot, pretending to focus away from them. But half the time, I take the picture close by with a 50 mm lens and then smile. If they notice me first, I ask permission and then chat and get their life story!

I try to get their info if they have noticed me and then I send them jpgs by email. No prints!

Asher

Hi Asher

Sometimes I do exchange info with people when I have a chance. Some have gotten back to me that wanted prints. But the crazy thing is the only picture that I have sold was a picture of myself.

James