• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Spring Bloom: Post your most dramatic finds!

Dwayne Oakes

Thanks for taking a look !

Take care,
Dwayne Oakes

p425247172-4.jpg

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Thanks for taking a look !

Take care,
Dwayne Oakes

p425247172-4.jpg

The lilac color is right for the season, but this is not that! Almost clinical, but yet wonderful to see! No misty woodland scene today, Dwayne! Hope others follow with equally striking finds!

Asher

Michael Nagel

Dwayne - besides the color, it looks like they are reaching out for more light.

A tulip from Saturday, someone with a black jacket provided the background.

Best regards,
Michael

Dwayne Oakes

Dwayne - besides the color, it looks like they are reaching out for more light.

A tulip from Saturday, someone with a black jacket provided the background.

Best regards,
Michael

Beautiful Michael !

PS Asher lol yes more forest photos,I posted a new one in landscapes.

Take care,
Dwayne Oakes

Asher Kelman

Lumix GH2 + Cerco 94mm lens

Pulsatilla in evening light.

5600911645_b78ea8d67a_o.jpg

Kaus,

Not only is it beautiful and unusual with light making the fine plant hair glisten like lit glass, the seems to be some feeling of purity in that I see no evidence of CA. It could be that it's there at higher mag.

Asher

Dr Klaus Schmitt

Thanks Asher, but that was shot with that CERCO quartz/flourite lens, so there is no CA visible, not even at pixel level (that is a 16Mp shot uncropped straight from the cam, Lumix GH2 in that case)

Asher Kelman

Thanks Asher, but that was shot with that CERCO quartz/flourite lens, so there is no CA visible, not even at pixel level (that is a 16Mp shot uncropped straight from the cam, Lumix GH2 in that case)

That, my dear Klaus, shows that still lens is king for most aspects of photography! It's lke who you let in to your house. That's the company you have to have fun with!

Asher

Asher Kelman

I visited a friend for dinner and outside where roses in different stages of bloom. I let my wife go ahead and stayed outside awhile admiring them and the realized I had my Ricoh GXR 50 mm f2.5 Macro with me! Faint hues of pink glowed through what seemed like pure white. So these were, indeed, special and delicate in form, each different, but related like sisters.

_0031571.jpg

_0031573.jpg

_0031575.jpg

Asher Kelman: 3 White Rose Snaps at Dinner Time

I admit it! I was was opportunistic! But then these roses seem like family too! :)

Asher

Rachel Foster

All are quite nice, but I'm especially drawn to the tulips.

My entry was taken last May in Monet's gardens, Giverney, France. Handheld, f/5.6, ISO 200, 1/1000.

small111.jpg

Monet's Garden: Jacob Eliana

Rachel Foster

Asher, the image is not showing on my screen. Is this a computer hiccup or do I need to fix something?

Oops, it was just a "d'oh" moment. Fixed now.

Last edited:

Asher Kelman

All are quite nice, but I'm especially drawn to the tulips.

My entry was taken last May in Monet's gardens, Giverney, France. Handheld, f/5.6, ISO 200, 1/1000.

small111.jpg

Monet's Garden: Jacob Eliana

Rachel,

There's a symbol of a prayer in the flower. I'd take that as a positive!

Asher :)

Some fun with a almot fully bloomed lilac tree in my new yard! I liked how it was hard to determine whether the darker out of focus highlights were in fron or behind the subject.

5760613780_f19b6a2143_z.jpg

d90
tokina 100mm f2.8 macro
1/640
f3.5
iso200​

Asher Kelman

Some fun with a almot fully bloomed lilac tree in my new yard! I liked how it was hard to determine whether the darker out of focus highlights were in fron or behind the subject.

5760613780_f19b6a2143_z.jpg

d90
tokina 100mm f2.8 macro
1/640
f3.5
iso200​

Jake,

This is beautiful. To make best use of the soft periphery, maybe, in this case, a portrait frame could be especially fitting.

Asher

StuartRae

Not really dramatic, just a few weeds from my garden this morning.

Canon 50D + Sigma 180mm f/3.5 Macro.

IMG_0853-01.jpg

Orange Hawkweed

IMG_0858-01.jpg

Sow Thistle

IMG_0866-01.jpg

Herb Robert​

Regards,

Stuart

Asher Kelman

Not really dramatic, just a few weeds from my garden this morning.

Canon 50D + Sigma 180mm f/3.5 Macro.

IMG_0853-01.jpg

Orange Hawkweed​

This is beautiful! How large is the plant!

IMG_0858-01.jpg

Sow Thistle​

Actually, I thought this was a dandelion! Then I realized that the cotton at the end and the bulbous shape meant it was likely a thistle.

IMG_0866-01.jpg

Herb Robert

Again this is so eye catching. You have great weeds, LOL! I'd love to see a wider picture!

Really fine specimens!

Asher

Asher Kelman

Here's one more for the garden...

Cheers,

Ruben

_MG_0330.jpg

Ruben Alfu : Sunflower

Ruben,

I am surprised that the petals are so tiny compared to the giant flower platform. Did larger petals fall off, or is this a variant that simply is this way?

Asher

StuartRae

Hi Asher,

Thanks for looking.

This is beautiful! How large is the plant!
They are between one and two feet tall.

Then I realized that the cotton at the end and the bulbous shape meant it was likely a thistle.
They are the same family as true thistles (Asteraceae) but a different genus. The young leaves are edible (so I am informed) and taste like lettuce.

Regards,

Stuart

Ruben Alfu

Ruben,

I am surprised that the petals are so tiny compared to the giant flower platform. Did larger petals fall off, or is this a variant that simply is this way?

Asher

Hi Asher, I ask myself the same question, now, take into account that the angle of the shot makes them look even shorter, compare it with the flower in the bg top left.

Ruben

Here's one more for the garden...

_MG_0330.jpg

Ruben Alfu : Sunflower

Cheers,

Ruben

This picture shows so beautifully the intricate spirals formed by the arrangement of the seeds, which is a mathematical wonder. It is said that, the number of spirals formed, whichever way you count them, will be a member of the Fibonacci series (i.e., 0,1,1,2,3,5,8,13,2134,55,89,144,...).

Asher, I think the petals start falling towards the later stages.

Reginald